• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with nipples for 1851 colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawken1980

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I have a good problem I have over 2000 caps, unfortunately they are all no 11’s my Pietta’s nipples do not like the caps (loose).

I figure I’ll just replace the nipples especially since I’ve been told they need to go anyway being factory nipples. Which brand would y’all recommend for 11’s

Attachments

• E2F2577E-2F5D-45D3-BCAC-FE16A1A4F8E8.jpeg
    E2F2577E-2F5D-45D3-BCAC-FE16A1A4F8E8.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 62
Could you file each nipple down shorter? Mine flare gradually toward the base so they get wider as they go down. A little judicious filing might spare you a few bucks and a wait time...

Could you file each nipple down shorter? Mine flare gradually toward the base so they get wider as they go down. A little judicious filing might spare you a few bucks and a wait time...
Interesting idea I have never thought about that, would it change the angle of strike of the hammer though?

Interesting idea I have never thought about that, would it change the angle of strike of the hammer though?
Hey man, I've never actually tried it. So I don't know about the angle, Just look at your nipples and see if the shape widens and maybe give it a try. You can file any angle you want into it afterwards, if it does indeed change the angle.

And hey, if it doesn't work, you were already going to buy a new set anyway, right? I'd be interested to know how it turns out.

I was talking about vising them and doing it by hand. Drill would definitely work. Careful and light pressure. You would only want to shorten them a 32nd inch at a time. Shouldn't take much before they are fitting snug.

The bright side with the drill is if you take too much off, just lay the drill on its side and give the sides of the nipple a little spin to narrow them.

On some revolvers, the frame and hammer are designed so that the hammer will strike the frame at a height to strike the cap, but not the nipple. This will not cause dry firing to mushroom the nipple. Dry firing is possible with a revolver designed that way. You do not want to shorten the nipple very much. Some replacement nipples are longer than the factory nipples and dry firing will mushroom the cones. Measure your factory nipples so when you go to the Track of the Wolf web site to shop for nipples, you can choose the same overall height and cone length.

On some revolvers, the frame and hammer are designed so that the hammer will strike the frame at a height to strike the cap, but not the nipple. This will not cause dry firing to mushroom the nipple. Dry firing is possible with a revolver designed that way. You do not want to shorten the nipple very much. Some replacement nipples are longer than the factory nipples and dry firing will mushroom the cones. Measure your factory nipples so when you go to the Track of the Wolf web site to shop for nipples, you can choose the same overall height and cone length.

:thumb: This is the best answer - call TOTW and tell them you want to use #11 caps on your revolver - give them the manufacture, model and year it was made they SHOULD be able to fix you up.

On some revolvers, the frame and hammer are designed so that the hammer will strike the frame at a height to strike the cap, but not the nipple. This will not cause dry firing to mushroom the nipple. Dry firing is possible with a revolver designed that way.

which revolvers?

:thumb: This is the best answer - call TOTW and tell them you want to use #11 caps on your revolver - give them the manufacture, model and year it was made they SHOULD be able to fix you up.
I was thinking about calling them, because I could not for the life of me figure out the right one just looking at the website.

My fault I’m sure.

The cone height seems important to me. I got some Tresos that were shorter than the stock ones. It was my fault for not measuring or talking with someone with that knowledge.

Back