• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'm convinced - no Dremel. I have a nice set of wood working chisels. I removed the lock and it appears to be the original lock Lyman installed in their rifles. Now I'm trying to decide it I should replace the lock while I am going to the work of fitting it properly.

Looks to be an L&R replacement lock that was never fitted properly.
My thinking also. I don't know how old this Lyman is but current models use coil springs, whereas L&Rs have leaf springs and some wood will need to be removed for a proper fit.

Here's a photo of a Lyman lock in the rifle and an L&R replacement sitting loose.

Attachments

• IMGP0700.JPG
    IMGP0700.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 59
Definitely the L&R, bet it has a leaf main spring, worth spending some time fitting it properly.

The lock is labeled on the interior as RPL and it has leaf springs. The rifle is probably from about 2012. I acquired it in 2014 just before I moved to my current location and it has been in the original box. I have another bp flintlock that I use and kind of forgot about this one until I was cleaning out the closet last week. I will definitely take the time to fit the lock properly.

RLP is an L&R replacement the same thing is stamped on the back of the one in my photo. The L&R is a much better lock than what comes with a Lyman the one in the photo will be going in the rifle pictured.

Thanks all. I got this rifle from the ex-wife of a poor guy in a nasty divorce for some work I did for her. I offered it back to him but he said keep it and bad mouthed his wife. I felt kind of bad but didn't want to get too involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy52, did you try to get the hammer off by prying under it from the face of the plate? There are numerous screwdriver marks on there the way it looks? Take the lock apart with the proper tools, it will prevent damage to the lock.

Andy52, did you try to get the hammer off by prying under it from the face of the plate? There are numerous screwdriver marks on there the way it looks? Take the lock apart with the proper tools, it will prevent damage to the lock.
No sir I didn't it was that way when I bought it. It came from a private sale and the price was right so I bought it. The whole lock will have to be cleaned up and polished and I'm pretty sure those marks will come out when I get around to that.

Latest posts

Back