• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help with Jäger Rifle .62 Loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

German Jäger

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hello for all here,
I am Tino from Germany i am a traditinal Hunter and hunting with Flintlocks i have 1 Kibler Colonial Rifle .54 and 1 J. Garner Lancaster also .54 both perfect Hunting Rifles!
Now i became a TOW Kit Jäger Rifle with 31“ Colraine Barrel .62, Davis Jaeger Lock a very beauty Rifle but i have no good Loaddata for it! I have RB in .595,.600,.610 and 0.20 Oxyyoke lubed Patches. I try today .600 with Patch and 100Grs Schweizer No.3 50 yrds . But no good performance😫. Bit what can i do to have Sucess with it please help me i was very diapointed . Musst i clean it between each shot?! I use an Alkohol Patch between each 3 Shoots. I hope you can help hunting Derr Sized Game.
Greetings from Germany

Attachments

• 04478C00-7A60-4AD3-B7B3-0B702EB28C14.jpeg
    04478C00-7A60-4AD3-B7B3-0B702EB28C14.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 81
Hello , ok i was in the woods today uses 100grain Schweizer 3 powder .600 Roundball and 0.20 Oxy Yoke lubed..after 3 Shots the bore was swabbed but the hits in a 8-10“ circle😏😞

Sorry. Posted wrong video at first but I put the correct one there now. Just a fun little video showing me shooting my TOTW Jaeger. Not trying to prove anything. I just love my rifle and enjoy any chance to show it in action. Good luck with your accuracy endeavors.

That’s a real nice looking rifle! Do you have to pound your ball down the bore or does it load smoothly? You could try thinner patches, less powder or different size balls. Many variables to adjust for best accuracy. But I’m sure you know that. Just some friendly suggestions of course.

All very fine thank you..but i dont know how to start…what ball size have anyone a Coleraine Barrel swapped 31“?! My friend the old owner and builder say he had use it with .610 & 0.15patch he lubed it teice with a layer of grease downside and 100grs

I have the same .62. cal Colerain 31” barrel BUT a .62 cal. conning tool would not even begin to fit. I’m thinking it’s more like a .61 cal. Just guessing.

I've built a couple guns with that Colerain Jaeger barrel. I wound up using a .595 hand cast ball which always comes out around .598 .020 patch lubed with mink oil, a thin overshot card over the powder and 90-100 grains of 2F Goex. You need to recover some patches and look for holes. 8-10" groups sounds like burnt up/cut patches.

You need a heavier patch to fill the grooves and stop the blow by. That means a smaller diameter ball is needed to avoid cutting the patch on the lands or the muzzle and to make loading easier. I use a .595 and a .023 patch with about 85 to 100gr. 2F in my .62. Are your patches showing burnt/blown spots in the grooves?

TOW Kit Jäger Rifle with 31“ Colraine Barrel .62, Davis Jaeger Lock a very beauty Rifle but i have no good Loaddata for it! I have RB in .595,.600,.610 and 0.20 Oxyyoke lubed Patches. I try today .600 with Patch and 100Grs Schweizer No.3 50 yrds . But no good performance
Hi Toni. First of all, welcome to the forum from North Carolina USA.

I had the same TOW Jaeger, except mine had a Rice barrel with radius bottom rifling. I believe Colerain uses a similar rifling. The gun I had has moved on to a new home, but I am building another one.

I found that the deep radius bottom rifling requires thicker patch material. I would also mention that pre-lubricated patches can break down over time and are something I avoid. The best patch material I found with my Jaeger was 10 oz canvas that measured .022”, .0165” compressed, at least the way I measure it. I was using .600” pure lead roundballs. Accuracy was very good at 50 yards, basically a ragged hole, with a variety of powders and charges up a 100 grains.

Thats what i think too👍🏻‼So the .600 ist the right way or .595 with Jeans stuff patch?
Thinking about the right size really has to take second place to making decisions based on measurements taken from your specific barrel dimensions. A decent and inexpensive digital Vernier caliper is a tool weall need to have access to. Barrels, event the same caliber, may have different dimensions. Measure the land to land diameter. Measure the groove diameter for insight to a possible patch thickness. Far too many variables to have only one right way.

Land to land diameter less 0.010 inches is a reasonable starting ball diameter. Go to a smaller ball diameter for easier loading. Patch compressed thickness of the groove depth plus 0.005 inch is a practical starting point.

Because nothing is ever simple, thse soft lead balls will expand on firing. So a smaller ball will be an acceptable choice.

Back