• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Identifying gun CVA .54 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfoxes8

32 Cal
Reaction score
I acquired this gun and was told it was from 1978/79 ish. I am new to Percussion rifles and was trying to find out what model and maybe twist rate the barrel is?
On the side of the barrel it says Connecticut Valley Arms. .54 cal
There is a 7 digit serial number as well.
Here are some pictures of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.jpg
    IMG_2008.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2010.jpg
    IMG_2010.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_2011-1.jpg
    IMG_2011-1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 273
Looks like a Mountain rifle and that sight was used up to the early 80's when they went to a fully adjustable rear sight (windage and elevation). What's the serial #? That will tell more, but your late 70's seems accurate. The .54's from that period have a slow twist.

I acquired this gun and was told it was from 1978/79 ish. I am new to Percussion rifles and was trying to find out what model and maybe twist rate the barrel is?
I have two of those CVA Mountain Rifles. However mine are the older ones that have flat sided ramrod ferrules and 5 screw patch boxes. Yours is later I think, having round ramrod ferrules [can't see the patch box]. The older ones are more desirable but all are good shooters. Yours looks to be in good shape. I would place its value at $350 + or - a bit. It is definitely a CVA Mountain rifle, not to be confused with their Hawken rifle. Polecat ooops. Forgot to say the .54 caliber is worth a bit more and harder to find. I would love it if mine were .54

Last edited:
Hi. As you know, those Mountain rifles were manufactured in Spain by Dikar, and marketed in the USA by CVA. If you tell me what brands the barrel has, and I mean the stamps from the Eibar test bench and the letters that are next to the numbering, I can tell you the exact year of manufacture. The barrels of these rifles were manufactured in Premiá de Mar, Barcelona. But the rifle as a whole was assembled in Eibar or Bergara (Guipúzcoa province) in the Basque Country of Spain. If you put photos of all the barrel stamps, I'll explain.
I know those rifles well, which I love, because I have had it in caliber 54 and now I have it in caliber 58 and with curly maple stock.

Greetings from Spain.

Last edited:
It is the "Big Bore" Mountain rifle. It came out a little later than the regular mountain rifle, it lacked the patch box and obviously was a bigger caliber.

It's mine, wherever did you find it? Those little critters'll walk off from ya when you turn your back on em. Please send him home.....;) Just kidding, nice CVA Mountain rifle you aquired. Those were really good shooters.

Hi. As you know, those Mountain rifles were manufactured in Spain by Dikar, and marketed in the USA by CVA. If you tell me what brands the barrel has, and I mean the stamps from the Eibar test bench and the letters that are next to the numbering, I can tell you the exact year of manufacture. The barrels of these rifles were manufactured in Premiá de Mar, Barcelona. But the rifle as a whole was assembled in Eibar or Bergara (Guipúzcoa province) in the Basque Country of Spain. If you put photos of all the barrel stamps, I'll explain.
I know those rifles well, which I love, because I have had it in caliber 54 and now I have it in caliber 58 and with curly maple stock.

Greetings from Spain.

The only info on the barrel is this, would there be more info on the barrel that may be covered up by the stock?
Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc
Black Powder Only 54 Cal

My first M.L. was a C.V.A. like yours. I paid $200.00 for it in the late seventies. It was accurate and very well made compared to some I see today. A friend Of mine talked me out of it and I regret it to this day.

I acquired a total of three Mountain rifles. 2 in 50 cal and one in 45. I gave a 50 to a good friend. I am on the lookout for a 54. I don't NEED it, but it would make a nice addition to the set...

I acquired a total of three Mountain rifles. 2 in 50 cal and one in 45. I gave a 50 to a good friend. I am on the lookout for a 54. I don't NEED it, but it would make a nice addition to the set...
Sorry pork chop, its not for sale. Just trying to get some information on the rifle. I am excited to shoot it this year and hunt with it next year during the muzzleloader season.

Sorry pork chop, its not for sale. Just trying to get some information on the rifle. I am excited to shoot it this year and hunt with it next year during the muzzleloader season.
I apologize, I was not inquiring if yours was for sale. Just making a general comment. They are good shooters, I am sure that you will enjoy it! I enjoy the hunt to find these things.

Early to mid ‘80s. Rear sight was identical to Frontier Rifle of the same period. 1-66 twist. Excellent shooters. The pewter nose cap set it off. I have a Cabelas Powder River rifle which is the exact same rifle, all parts interchange, barrel on mine is American made. I nearly bought the Big Bore kit interchangeable.54-.58 barrels. (Still kicking myself for not getting it)

I have 2 mountain rifles neither one says where they are made, not USA or Spain, no proof marks just Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc. Black Powder Only 50 cal and serial #'s under 100000.

The only info on the barrel is this, would there be more info on the barrel that may be covered up by the stock?
Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc
Black Powder Only 54 Cal

Yes, identifying proof marks are usually stamped into the barrel underside, viewable after removing the barrel from the stock.

Back