• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help with identification of locks and other parts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin S.

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am looking for some help with some locks and other parts. My uncle was a serious collector but now has dementia and I've been tasked with cleaning out some of his things and getting the most money for his my Aunt, everyone knows how this type of situation goes. Some of the things are beyond what a novice can find out just with google though. I am not familiar with this forum so I have taken a picture as a test and posted it here. Any advice on how to sell these and how to make sure I don't miss something really valuable is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20190505_120010892.jpg
    IMG_20190505_120010892.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 147
What you have is 3 "Miquelet" locks, probaby of Spanish manufacture and an English flintlock by "Lott" (a gun-making firm). A "gun-auction" site may get the most money per item but if you have a large collection, sometimes selling through a dealer in antique arms that works on a percentage is both easier and faster.

Thank you both for taking a look, I appreciate that. I think I will take pictures of everything and see if I it is worth it to and antique arms dealer to consign this stuff. If anybody knows someone please let me know and thank you very much for your help.

The miquelet locks appear original to me, not that I know much about them.
Keep us posted if you list them somewhere, Justin.
I am very sorry your uncle is not in good shape. V sad state of affairs.

All the best,
Richard.

Make sure that you use an antique dealer who is familiar with guns and asosiated equipment . Someone who knows everything about furniture might see only rusty junk.

Thank you all for your help, I think what I get from you guys is there may be something of some value in all this stuff and finding a good dealer is the way to go. If I find one I'll post an update. Thank you!

The miquelet locks appear original to me, not that I know much about them.
Keep us posted if you list them somewhere, Justin.
I am very sorry your uncle is not in good shape. V sad state of affairs.

All the best,
Richard.

I don't know whats going on, but it seems like these memory diseases are getting more common. Thank you for your words.

Back