• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

help with hearing problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I take my hearing aids out at the range and warn everyone around me to be sure and get my attention if need be, don’t just yell in my direction. Looking to buy some electronic muffs to try out.

When I first got my hearing aids, I would remove them when I arrived at the range. Yes, it was annoying, having to put them in after getting done shooting. Several times, I forgot to replace them before driving home.
Now I just turn them off with my Iphone and put on my Peltor amplified over the ear headset. Then there are the times that I forget to turn the aids on before driving home.

Over many years of working with shooters on the range and in a gun shop with a range there are things I like to point out on a couple items. I'm basically not trying to dissuade people from buying or experimenting with then, but trying to make sure people have realistic expectations. Those items are laser/red dot sights, and, electronic hearing protection.
The average electronic hearing protection most shooters buy, the average to low price stuff, does not automatically mean you will hear everything said on the range. Even during a direct conversation. These devices cancel all sound when a sound over a certain decibel occurs. This means if a gunshot or multiple gunshots occurs mid sentence, the sentence will be canceled too.
There are electronics available in both plug and muff form that do not work this way. You will be able to hold an entire conversation, listen to all instructions, etc. on a busy firing range. But, they are expensive. Prohibitively so for most shooters who aren't taking or giving high level classes and training.
Just keep your expectations in check and most of what is out there should work fine. Comfort is a whole different issue.

Very true, nock. With standard e-muffs expect to hear snippets of conversations and be prepared to repeat yourself and have whomever you're trying to hear do the same. Still, for someone in your situation, rebs, it beats either not being able to hear anything or having the sounds of gunfire be uncomfortably loud.

I am profoundly deaf as a result of an auto accident. Situational awareness is second only to safety. I always check the line before I step up to make a shot. If there is a range master, or others are around, I introduce myself, and mention I have no hearing.

Get some walker ear muffs. They are electronic. You can take your hearing aids out and then crank up the volume on the muffs to hear. I can hear a bird fart at 100 yards with mine cranked up to high volume. They will let you hear and block out loud noises. They are around $40

Just one thing of caution. If I crank my electronic muffs to very high I have had them feedback a little. You know the screeching noise that happens with sound systems when you bring a microphone too close to a speaker? That's what I'm talking about. It lasts less than a second. Perhaps it is caused by muffs not sealing completely.

The model I have is 3M Peltor Pro Tac Shooter.

Get some walker ear muffs. They are electronic. You can take your hearing aids out and then crank up the volume on the muffs to hear. I can hear a bird fart at 100 yards with mine cranked up to high volume. They will let you hear and block out loud noises. They are around $40
Yes these do work fine the volume control let's you hear as well as with your hearing aids (anyway mine do) but cut off the gunfire noise.

See if any of your friends will let you try their electronic muffs. Some of them will interfere with mounting the rifle (not so much in guns with lots of drop at the comb, but much so on straight stocks). I use simple pugs when shooting alone, but electronic muffs when shooting with others or when coaching. Use a combination around handguns.

I am profoundly deaf as a result of an auto accident. Situational awareness is second only to safety. I always check the line before I step up to make a shot. If there is a range master, or others are around, I introduce myself, and mention I have no hearing.
As a Range Safety Officer, thank you for making those over seeing the safety of the firing line aware of your special issue. When we are aware of any out of the ordinary items, we will pay extra attention, over and above our normal safety observations. Firing line safety is something that everyone on the firing line should be concerned with. With many new firearm being bought, there are always someone who bought a new firearm and have no idea how to operate and safely handle their new purchase.

I have Starkey hearing aids, the ones that suspend in the ear opening. Have about 60% hearing loss. They are expensive but work very good and aren't bothersome or hard to get in/out. I take them out for shooting. I too have hissing tinnitus and have just gotten used to it.

I personally don't like Walker products, my preference is Peltor. Around blackpowder I wear PELTOR Tactical Earplug TEP-100 if I want to hear what others are say, otherwise Surefire Sonic Defenders.

If wearing earmuffs of any kind I always also wear the Surefire Sonic Defenders ever since I lost a significant part of my hearing with just one shot from my 300 Blackout PDW while bench shooting when I forgot to put my earmuffs back on after hanging a new target. And I'm ex-Army so one might think I wouldn't forget ear protection. I did, just once.

I remove my hearing aids when shooting and have the Howard Leight ear muffs which work well for me. They can amplify the sound level up to 3X so I find I leave them on during cease fires in most cases.

I have needed hearing aids for years but I refuse to get them as everyone I know that has them has trouble with them. Too much money for trouble. I just use the stick them in the ear rubber plugs. I have permanent tinitis, steam pipe sound constantly, had it for so long I don't even notice it anymore. I'd be easy to sneak up on.
Do you wear glasses? Those are a PIA too. It is sooooooo nice to see though. Same with hearing! One forgets how good it is to hear what someone is saying. Besides there are other benefits: Mine has a wife button.(ON OFF) 😂
Larry

I have average to good hearing. I wear the disposable foam in ear plugs any time on the range never removing them and add muffs as noise level increases. With my open class pistol it was a must have.
I decided to add a post to encourage others with decent hearing to use something to keep the hearing they have.

I have a set of electronic blue tooth operated from my phone. Had them3 years. Supplied through the VA. No cost but I bet they cost tax payers plenty. Finally getting something good from my viet nam service. Prior to these I went through 3 sets friom Costco. Slow learner I guess. One thing I like most about this good set is I can wear muffs over them with no squeal etc and if I get a phone call it rings and connects to the hearing aids

I have a set of electronic blue tooth operated from my phone. Had them3 years. Supplied through the VA. No cost but I bet they cost tax payers plenty. Finally getting something good from my viet nam service. Prior to these I went through 3 sets friom Costco. Slow learner I guess. One thing I like most about this good set is I can wear muffs over them with no squeal etc and if I get a phone call it rings and connects to the hearing aids

sounds like you have the same ones I have from the VA

Could you possibly send me a p.m. with the make and model of these please? I'm interested in having my father look into then.

Unfortunately no readily available hearing aid or device really helps with my hearing problem, not the bulk of dad's either. I hear fine. I can hear very soft faint sounds and voices. But, if I am not focused in someone speaking to me, I won't understand what them. The sound doesn't process into speech. Made worse if the person is on my left side or there is a lot of background noise. Movies and t.v. are a waste of time as I often can't decifer the dialog from the music and sound effects.
I wish I had found my good hearing protection years sooner.

Back