• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with cannon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motophile

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi, everyone ,Brad here. My neighbor gave me this cannon. It looks to be bronze with a 1 1/8 id steel liner. Cannon is 21 inches long. there is a spot drill for the fuse but not drilled. The hundredsof pictures I've looked at i didnt see anything like it. Im hesitant to make it functional if it's just a display piece. Thankyou.
20201113_133301.jpg
20201113_133230.jpg

Attachments

• 20201113_133418.jpg
    20201113_133418.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 113
The fact that it's lined is a good sign. I would suggest that you find a way to visually inspect the bore all the way to the intersection of what would be the fuse hole. If the liner goes all the way back, and has a liner cap, you might consider drilling a fuse hole. If the rear of breach inside the bore is not capped with liner, I wouldn't shoot it. If it was stored outdoors, you might want to consider how much corrosion is in the bore also. It's tough to judge without being there.

Perhaps a patternmaker's hobby project? Very interested in hearing what you learn about the bore; your piece is a dandy and I'd leave the patina alone for the time being.:thumb:

Thank you for the replies guys, I took it to work because who doesnt want to see a cannon. I will check for an end cap. I have a long small diameter extendable magnet , maybe many wraps of tape around it to keep from sticking to the bore and getting a false reading?

A flashlight revealed rust at the bottom of the bore, and a magnet conferred it to be steel. From reading around on some cannon forums, a 1/8 fuse hole is ok, what i dont know is its position in relation to the bottom of the bore. Is there a common distance for the hole?

A flashlight revealed rust at the bottom of the bore, and a magnet conferred it to be steel. From reading around on some cannon forums, a 1/8 fuse hole is ok, what i dont know is its position in relation to the bottom of the bore. Is there a common distance for the hole?
Should be confirmed.

I drill mine about 1/4 inch from the end of the bore. That allows me to prick the powder and insert the fuse into the charge.
If it were mine I’d file the casting lines off and polish the surface to as new then if you like patina you can color it. Old cannon were expensive and well cared for. A better truck would be in order as well.

Latest posts

Back