• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help with Bulnderbuss ID and RUST!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Lott marked lock several years ago. The owner said it needed the frizzen hardened, but had been a good sparker. He was right on both counts. I dipped it in Kasenite and it really sparks now...although I haven't mounted it yet to see how it performs in a stock.

Some of these basically well made guns seem to have optional if quite good looking dummy locks . .for what it is pricewise Ide say be good enough replica the kits of which could I'me sure could work up to be just fine . lot locks fits it and generally fine locks what the 1873 bit is I've no idea . Usefull today ?. Well good for a laugh any day . Rudyard

there was allways a problem with LOTT LOCKS many years ago i had a fowler and it would not spark, so I dent it off to NORTH STAR WEST and he said that were a very cheep made lock, made in ITALY and were not suitable to take a hardening.

Only fault I see is the cast in name' Lott' but even that is well done and there was a Lott gun maker . I only used them to weld in the engraveing to make them suitable for military carbines . And since they are not so far removed from the' Grice' lock I believe there the same makers . I do know the original North Star Enterprises owner started with using Lotts but the supplier put the price up on him, So he being a skilled Jigs Tools & fixtures man made his own locks he told me so himself. I used to stock 'In the whites 'four a week common guns or 2 chiefs grades a week these being more involved .Bit of a grind but there you go .I did case harden the Carbines made from Lotts so they can be made to harden . The Dixie Ketland was cheap as chips but while the springs where all out of balance they 'worked up' and prouved fine . Ditto India made locks no castings just hand made on little buisket tin forges . I asked once " What steel do the make the locks from ? " . The owner replied "We are making with the help of the es scrap" Ive worked up the worse of India locks and guns and sent them out as positive fire risks . Being actually chased after by re enactors wanting them .Even Chuck Dixon bought one Ide left on consignment. I think the principal skill of a gunsmith is his ability get round snags so often do they have to think outside the box .
Rudyard

SDSmlf: Thanks for the old Dixie catalog pages. That is what I remember. 1990 is later than I thought. But I do remember Dixie offering these parts after the complete gun was discontinued. I looked up the movie Mountain Men and noticed the release date was 1980. So I'm now guessing the complete gun was marketed by Navy Arms sometime from the late 70's to some point in the 1980's.

I can't remember ever seeing one of these offered for sale second hand in later years. Wonder where they all went ? LOL Anyway, I think it would be worth restoring to shooting condition. Shouldn't take too much work.

Somewhere, I have a complete lock that shows little to no use. Found it a few years ago on the famous website.

Congratulations. Nice find. Rick

SDSmlf: Thanks for the old Dixie catalog pages. That is what I remember. 1990 is later than I thought. But I do remember Dixie offering these parts after the complete gun was discontinued. I looked up the movie Mountain Men and noticed the release date was 1980. So I'm now guessing the complete gun was marketed by Navy Arms sometime from the late 70's to some point in the 1980's.

I can't remember ever seeing one of these offered for sale second hand in later years. Wonder where they all went ? LOL Anyway, I think it would be worth restoring to shooting condition. Shouldn't take too much work.

Somewhere, I have a complete lock that shows little to no use. Found it a few years ago on the famous website.

Would want to "proof" the barrel! May not have been mfg. to actual firing standards.

Wish I would have saved more of the old Dixie and other catalogs I had back in the day. The ones I did save have proven to be invaluable references for confirming things I thought I may have remembered, or something like that. Funny thing is I remembered having seen that parts set and knew it was in that 30 year old catalog. But lost a flashlight in the kitchen today. Turns out the bride put it ‘away’ while I was out.

Last edited:
Springfield Art, post 26,BEWARE .OLD brass Changes from "as cast",ductile Beta to Heavily christaline Alfa brass with age,making the tube rather like a fragmentation grenade.Have it Professionally proofed by all mean but be prepared to take a paper bag with you when you collect all the bits.Have Long experience with old brass wire that broke up when machined into chain.
OLD DOG.

I think they are safe enough. I survived clay shooting with this 200+ year old brass 'bus and what is more, I broke a left right high crosser (as I never tire of telling people) :)

bb2.jpg

Springfield Art, post 26,BEWARE .OLD brass Changes from "as cast",ductile Beta to Heavily christaline Alfa brass with age,making the tube rather like a fragmentation grenade.Have it Professionally proofed by all mean but be prepared to take a paper bag with you when you collect all the bits.Have Long experience with old brass wire that broke up when machined into chain.
OLD DOG.
Hey, thanks for the info. I'm Springfield Art, but was not going to shoot a brass barrel. Maybe someone else I commented to was. But good to know, anyway. Thanks.

Wish I would have saved more of the old Dixie and other catalogs I had back in the day. The ones I did save have proven to be invaluable references for confirming things I thought I may have remembered, or something like that. Funny thing is I remembered having seen that parts set and knew it was in that 30 year old catalog. But lost a flashlight in the kitchen today. Turns out the bride put it ‘away’ while I was out.
Oh, I so agree. I believe my first Dixie Catalog was 1964. Wish I still had it.
Rick

Oh, I so agree. I believe my first Dixie Catalog was 1964. Wish I still had it.
Rick
YES! Me, too...but you can find them on line, I believe, check e-bay. Would love to be able to go back in time and buy a couple of the Belgian Dixie rifles! Our tastes and interests change over time, so that's how life goes!

Latest posts

Back