• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help with barrel marking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNCLE PAULY

32 Cal
Reaction score
Twice I have seen pictures of eight "0" stamped on the end of barrel on flintlock rifles.

Not sure if markings are from barrel maker or rifle builder.

Can anyone help ID barrel maker or builder?

Thank you, Paul

EZFEED, one picture was from your G.B. WHITE 40 cal on G.B.

But I have seen the same marking of eight "0" encircling the crown on another rifle in the past. This leads me to think maybe it's the barrel maker's stampings?

I have seen barrel muzzles marked with zeros, ohs, vees, punch marks, stars, combinations of letters and punch marks and various engraved designs. They are for decoration and put there by the builder or perhaps the owner.

They may have a decorative function now but I believe that they started out as hex marks. The purpose of a hex mark was to remove any curse off of the spinning ball as it left the muzzle to allow it to fly true.

EZFEED, one picture was from your G.B. WHITE 40 cal on G.B.

But I have seen the same marking of eight "0" encircling the crown on another rifle in the past. This leads me to think maybe it's the barrel maker's stampings?
HEEEEEEY ok now I know whatcha talking about. I'll post a pic so everyone can see.
You know what....I think I have a few others that have muzzle marks too.

D0A00AE2-CE84-4D6E-B6AA-466C25AB8157.jpeg

At one time in the early smoothbore period the thought was was that a little gremlin rode the ball and steered it away from the target. After rifling was developed it was decided that the little gremlin was spun off the ball and it flew true. The hex marks are in the same category plus they are decorative.

Back