• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Ballistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobody85

16 bore
Reaction score
I’ve been using Ballistol for years to clean muzzleloaders. Before I became aquatinted with it, I used hot soapy water like everyone else used to. It’s worked great for me until just recently. I just received a new fowler. After the first cleaning session I noticed that my hands were covered with the stain from the stock after rubbing it down with Ballistol. I’ve never had this happen before on any other muzzleloaders I’ve had. When I emailed the builder they said that Ballistol was never intended for use with traditional gun stocks…. They said that it is only ok to use on poly based finishes. I’ve used it before on other flintlocks they’ve built and never had a problem. Anyone out there ever had this problem?

I don’t know. She said it was a traditional finish. It was made by TVM, so whatever they use. I’ve used it on other builds of theirs and never had a problem. I just read on Ballistols material handling sheet that caution should be used on antique furniture as it may degrade the finish. I really like using Ballistol mixed with water to clean because after the water evaporates it leaves the oily residue that protects.

Just checked, and even olive oil takes the stain off.

Attachments

• D06F84B8-ED4C-46AD-B09F-E82EEFCC5E7C.jpeg
    D06F84B8-ED4C-46AD-B09F-E82EEFCC5E7C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
every so often some bureaucrat in the epa wants to make his/her mark on the world and forces a change in formulation of paints, stains, baby formula, whatever comes to their attention.
i have had to watch carefully the stain/finish i use for that reason.
i have a Pedersoli that any mineral spirit, alcohol, or even some lubes will shed its stain just as yours is doing.
try ballistol without water in an inconspicuous place. or wax it down with Rennaissance wax. carefully. even wax ma draw the stain.
best of luck

Yeh, undiluted takes it off as well. I’ll try waxing it. Might try a natural wax though, as some wax has a petroleum smell to it that I know will diminish it.

They said even water will take it off. They said it has to have a coat of wax on the stock during cleaning. It’s on their web page. I don’t think I’ll use True Oil on anything I make though…

I've always used Johnson's paste wax on my TVM stocks. Other than the first few cleanings I have never had any "color" on my cleaning cloth.

When Ballistol was invented most if not all Military gunstocks were finished with a linseed based oil of one type or another , Japan the exception , used Tung oil

They said even water will take it off. They said it has to have a coat of wax on the stock during cleaning. It’s on their web page. I don’t think I’ll use True Oil on anything I make though…
If even water will take it off I think I would do a refinish job.

Imagine the mess you would have if your out in the woods and get caught in a shower.

I have noticed that the stain on a couple of my “red” finished TVM’s did not seem to have a a top layer of a sealer/oil applied over “some” of the stain coloration. evidenced by a reddish coloration when wiped down with a lube-saturated cloth. It appeared a stain was applied “after” the sealer for darkening purposes. After rubbing the stock down with fine Scotch-Brite with a bit of TOTW Traditional Oil, and a thorough wipe down, I applied a couple of coats of the same oil, and allowed it to dry. This stopped the dye from leaching, and slightly lightened the reddish color to what was IMO, a more appealing color tone and a surface that was well protected from lubricants with no color leaching….
AA2A78AA-D954-4548-B390-C3493F89D9BA.jpegF87B65A3-D873-4E27-9E54-E643F7ED2B7D.jpeg

I’ve been using Ballistol for years to clean muzzleloaders. Before I became aquatinted with it, I used hot soapy water like everyone else used to. It’s worked great for me until just recently. I just received a new fowler. After the first cleaning session I noticed that my hands were covered with the stain from the stock after rubbing it down with Ballistol. I’ve never had this happen before on any other muzzleloaders I’ve had. When I emailed the builder they said that Ballistol was never intended for use with traditional gun stocks…. They said that itood is only ok to use on poly based finishes. I’ve used it before on other flintlocks they’ve built and never had a problem. Anyone out there ever had this problem?

He's full of manure. Ballistol was developed to be used on metal, wood, wounds, hair dressing, you can even drink it.
https://www.ballistol-shop.de/History-of-Ballistol:_:86.html

Sounds like a water based aniline dye and not a stain. Sweaty hands would rub it off. Needs a top coat of a water resistance finish.

Latest posts

Back