• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with a white mountain Carbine .50

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Bradley

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i bought a white mountain a while back for the 20ga smooth barrel that came with it. Now I’m trying to get the rifle barrel going for my son. I tried a few shots with prb and quickly figured out that wasn’t going to work. I’ve since learned it’s a fast twist for bullets. Well I tried a couple of the hornady plains bullets and it has way more recoil than I want for him. Has anyone tried a ballet/pa conical with any success? Or another suggestion without terrible recoil?

They work with a roundball and a TIGHT patch. I have had a few 50 caliber fast twist WMCs that shot well with a tight patch and 70-80 grains of powder. Lighter powder charges with a roundball and they really shine.

If you do any casting, the Lee R.E.A.L. mould comes in two weights. I think the lighteeer one is 250gr and should be adequate for yer needs.

If you don’t cast I think TOTW has them ready-made.

If you do any casting, the Lee R.E.A.L. mould comes in two weights. I think the lighteeer one is 250gr and should be adequate for yer needs. If you don’t cast I think TOTW has them ready-made.

Bubba50 has a good idea. The Hornady Pennsylvania Conical for .50 caliber is 240 grains, the REAL bullets in .50 come in a 250 grain size...so that's about as light as you're going to go with a conical for a .50 caliber.

Have you thought about recoil mitigation with an add-on pad to the butt of the rifle?

The only idea that is lighter, and I shudder to wonder, is to shoot a round ball with a plastic sabot. Hornady makes a hard .485 round ball that goes inside a plastic sabot, but while that would really lower the recoil, as it's going to be about 150 grains, it's a hard alloy so isn't going to expand much if at all. Still it's a 1/2" hole...https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/hornady-hard-balls-50-cal-muzzleloading-bullets-h6950.html I have no idea if these will work in the fast twist barrel that you have.

LD

Next time I get an order up I’ll give the reals and pa a go. I’ll try a little thicker patch with roundball to see if that helps but I about couldn’t get it down with Walmart pillowticking. A better pad would probably help some, I’ll see what I can come up with on that end. Until then I’ll let him shoot one of my senecas. The problem with that is he tries to claim everything and the senecas are MINE.

I have a Traditions Buckskinner carbine. 80 grains of 3f under a TC maxi hunter 275 grains. Thumps ya a little bit but not horrible. Maybe try 70 grains?

If he has magnumitis the cure may be 120 grains of black under a 385 grain bullet...

That load would be harder on the gun than on the lad. White Mountains are kinda weak in the wrist area plus have a fair amount drop which would flex right sharp under that load.

Latest posts

Back