Help with a hunters frock

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by Ricochet, Aug 7, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Aug 7, 2019 #1

Ricochet

Ricochet

Ricochet

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

Its funny how hunting with a flint lock rifle can grab ahold of you and take you back in time. I noticed one of the hunting frocks with the three layers on the shoulders and all of that tassel hangin off of it and it got me to wantin one. Can y'all give me some suggestions as where I can purchase one? Are the ones from Crazy Crow decent quality? I don't want to feel like little lord faunteroy out there with wearin somethin totally wrong :)(Any Jerry Clower fans here)

Nyckname likes this.
  2. Aug 7, 2019 #2

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Ya can purchase one, from Jas Townsend & Son...,
    You can buy a caped hunting shirt, and just slit it up the front https://www.townsends.us/products/h...ed-canvas-cc-127?_pos=10&_sid=fab6d51b3&_ss=r
    You can buy a canvas hunting frock https://www.townsends.us/products/n...ite-canvas-fr-100?_pos=6&_sid=fab6d51b3&_ss=r
    You can buy a linen hunting frock https://www.townsends.us/products/hunting-frock-in-linen-lf-126?_pos=3&_sid=fab6d51b3&_ss=r
    OR Laddie, ya dinna have to drop all that coin, and if ya can ken sewing, you can sew one yerself, and save a good deal of money. You'll need about 4 yards of linen canvas https://fabrics-store.com/all-fabrics/?article=2

Usually the Townsend ones you have to finish the fringe. It's time consuming and good to do when watching TV..., they don't do it as it would skyrocket labor costs....

My Scottish genes won't let me buy one..., not when I can get the fabric for the most expensive style above for under $50.00. I just make a much larger man's shirt, and make a "pattern" for the cape from some cheap cotton/polyester crap from Wally World, cutting it and adjusting it until it hangs right. THEN I used that cloth-pattern to mark the linen for cutting out of the cape(s). You can sew them on then ;) I don't normally wear a hunting shirt with a cape, but I made a cape out of blaze-orange fabric for hunting season. Goes well with the Voyageur cap in blaze orange, and I can tack it on and remove it as I please. :thumb:

LD

Nyckname likes this.
  3. Aug 7, 2019 #3

old ugly

old ugly

old ugly

40 Cal.

as far as customer service at Townsend's its second to none.

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  4. Aug 7, 2019 #4

just4fun63

just4fun63

just4fun63

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Townsend’s recently did more research and changed the pattern slightly. Tighter sleeves around the wrist area. They say “with lots of fringe” so maybe the fringe is done now. I’m tempted my old one is pretty cheap.

5. Aug 7, 2019 #5

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 cal - b

Fifteen minute walk from Independence Hall.
  6. Aug 7, 2019 #6

Ricochet

Ricochet

Ricochet

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

I just talked to Angelina at Townsends and ordered the Premium frock which is their new style. She said that the new style has shorter capes and a tighter forearm area. Thanks for the links LD!

NW Territory Woodsman likes this.
  7. Aug 7, 2019 #7

Ricochet

Ricochet

Ricochet

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

I hear ya Dave on the genes thing. I try to make everything that I can but my genes won't let me get near the thought of screwing 50 dollars worth of material up. Making me spend close to 4 times that much on a premade item,, go figure! I have never sewn any clothing and those sleeves are messing with my brain. I may give a shirt a try later after I get braver.

8. Aug 7, 2019 #8

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

NW Territory Woodsman

40 cal - b

Angelina at Townsends is a really knowledgeable person. If you have any questions on your frock, just email Townsends and she'll answer your questions correctly. She's helped me build up my outfit by all of her answers.
    NWT Woodsman