• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help with 2 Percussion Ident.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scjordan

32 Cal.
Reaction score
First, thanks for the add.

Need help with 2 for identification!
1. what are they?
2. Any value or wall hangers?

first.
Not much in the way of identification markings. The only marking is a number 15 stamped on the barrel.
Barrel length 52"
Caliber 75
DSCN0664_zps4dyntssa.jpg

DSCN0666_zpskcrdn6eg.jpg

DSCN0665_zps2by75tss.jpg

DSCN0667_zpss4oq7eb5.jpg

DSCN0668_zps9sehd9ci.jpg

2nd
Not a marking at all on this one. Very ornate, 37" barrel and caliber 60-64?
Kentucky?
DSCN0662_zpsi4inywow.jpg

DSCN0660_zpsgyasjmaf.jpg

DSCN0661_zps0cqvhbtf.jpg

2 barrel wedges without a hook breech, cock repaired using MIG and angle grinder, it would be grim if not for the barrel which is deliciously long. I would say the barrel deserves a new lock and stock.

The other would be German/Austrian but where are the sling swivels? Another oddity.

#2 is either German or Swiss made. I don;t see a rear sight--is it a smooth bore? This is the more valuable of the two, buy condition is everything and your photos don't show much detail. There should be a maker;s name on it somewhere. That would help to determine the origin and value.

Maker's markings can be on the underside of the barrel or possibly inside of the lock. The lock work appears similar of those made in Suhl, part of Prussia back then. This is a very nice fouling piece. The trigger guard appears to be made of horn which is typical of guns made in that area in the mid nineteenth century.

S:
# 2 is a keeper. I would see If a rifled barrel could be made for it. # 2 is more valuable than the first one. The bores on both are likely rough. I would value # 1 between 100-175 dollars.# 2 has some fine parts,250-450 range.
Nit Wit

hawkeye2 said:
In the first photo the guard looks like it's made of wood to me going by the coloring which is also very common in Europe.

Looks like wood to me too.

William Alexander

'zackly. Sadly the cock does not line up with the nipple [absent].

IMO this is a frawk - made-up from bits and pieces.

The second gun is probably a real item, and I'd agree about the dense carved wood trigger guard, but how does that 'patch-box' work?

tac

Latest posts

Back