• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help with 16 gauge fowler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nobody85

16 bore
Reaction score
I’m having trouble finding a ramrod tip for a 16 gauge fowler. I can find 10,12, and 20 gauge tips all day but the 16 gauge tip has proven more difficult. I’m currently awaiting the fowlers arrival from TVM. I’ve bought from them before and know that they only install a utility tip with an 8/32 thread. While I definitely want that, I also want a permanent tip/cup on the other end. I’ve checked EBay already thinking someone might have one from an old English fowling piece but no luck. Any help would be welcome.

I had thought about just getting a 20 gauge tip. You see a lot of original fowlers in 16 gauge, but today they’re harder to come by. Everyone just wants to push the 20.

Is this any help?

A6B5FB34-CD96-4467-B261-2F4B14878B1C.jpeg

That’s nice for the utility end. I’m looking for a permanent tip/cup for the other end. I just like flipping the rod around to load. I don’t use range rods. When my ramrod wears out from cleaning and loading, I just make a new one.

I had thought about just getting a 20 gauge tip. You see a lot of original fowlers in 16 gauge, but today they’re harder to come by. Everyone just wants to push the 20.
Many British fowlers were originally 17bore from 1750's to the change to Caplock when makers went to even No.s. and 16's became common & 14's. I will sort thru' some old bits that came from an gun maker's cellar in Brum as I know there are a few old brass ramrod ends there (and a few Worms,mostly pistol size). I will show on MLF when I find them. O.D.

A ramrod tip must have a bore clearage but not do much so that the ramrod by passes the wad which is left on the bore wall this is the common thing to cause a burst barrel which I have witnessed that happened to a friend . Enclosed are images of different types of ramrod tip and worms
Feltwad
P1010001.JPG
P1010011.JPG

P1010010.JPG

Last edited:
Back