• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP!! UPS wont ship ML

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtilenw

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am appealing for help here from anyone that may be able to steer me in the right direction. UPS, here in Twin Falls, Idaho just refused to ship a muzzleloader for me today. I sent my wife in to send off the ML and recieved a phone call from her stating that UPS informed her that "Rifles" could only be shipped to an FFL holder.
I had my wife hand her cell phone to the UPS clerk, to whom I explained that we were just shipping a muzzleloader which was not classified as a firearm and thus exempt from the mentioned restrictions. The clerk finally admitted to me that she was just "filling in" for the usual clerk and that she just didn't know. She asked her "supervisor" who validated her claim that it needed to ship to an FFL holder. I was given an 800 number to call, which I did. I spoke with a representitive for 20 minutes, explaining that I wanted the Twin Falls depot to be notified that what we were trying to do was perfectly legal and was done hundreds, if not thousands of times each and every day. I was finally transfered to a "representitive" who, I was assured could "help" me. I waited on hold as long as time permitted (about 40 minutes) and finally had to hang up. What I am hopin for is some sound advise, document(s) to find and print to present tomorrow or a number to call to rectify this situation. Maybe even a UPS representitive is amongst us who can iron this out.
I have a trade in place which requires that we each ship ML's to each other and I am being refused my end of the bargain. The person I am trading with had no troubles shipping his part of the deal today, complete with tracking number.
HELP please!
Idaho PRB

:cursing: :cursing: UPS can rot in hell. I had that trouble once and i had the guy send me my pistol USPS in parts. Why is it , we always get the brain dead morons who dont know what a firearm is/isnt? Oh well, from the sound of your story, you atleast spoke with someone that spoke english.

I won't use UPS anymore because of manure like that. I ship all of mine through the P.O. and it is as cheap or cheaper than UPS.

what kind of gun is it? i have shipped t/c renegades and such size gun with the post office. they fit in a triangular box they have quite well with the barrel removed. the box is free and it was less than 12 dollars to ship.

You can ship any longgun interstate through the post office as long as it's going to an FFL. I believe it doesn't even have to go to an FFL as log as it's in state.

UPS doesn't get my business if I can help it.

The best way to assure that it gets there, is to ship it seperately. The stock is identified as "wood carving" which it is.
And the barrel and other parts are " Machined Metal Parts"
Even though I live in Canada, many times I just drive over to the Great "US of A" and ship my pieces via the US Postal Service. NO PROBLEMS!
It might cost a little more, maybe not, but it does get there.
Best Regards
Old Ford

very nice old ford. you dirty ol dog! Did that once when i shipped a cannon to Canada Eh.

Another choice and its very easy, Setup a UPS account. You can go right to their website once its setup, type in all the shipping info, weight and such, turn yor printer on and print out your shipping label and tape it onto your box, pre-paid! I need to do that with fedex.

I ship all mine through the USPS :thumbsup: All in one piece when it leaves here and all in one piece when it gets there. Shipping muzzleloaders can be mailed direct to the customer, or whom ever is recieving the package.

muzzleloaders will go ups. just tell them its parts. just be prepared for a fight if damaged or lost.

I just got off the phone with a "UPS Supervisor" and was told that UPS does not allow the shipment of "firearms or parts of firearms" I am assuming that means to a private party, since I was asked if I or the other party were licensed gun dealers. It sounds like this is a corporate UPS law and seperate from the laws of the good 'ol USA. :shocked2:
I will ship USPS tomorrow.
Thanks for all your input. PS if you want to continue to rant and rave about the UPS, I would love to hear it :cursing:
Idaho PRB

Roy said:
I ship all mine through the USPS :thumbsup: All in one piece when it leaves here and all in one piece when it gets there. Shipping muzzleloaders can be mailed direct to the customer, or whom ever is recieving the package.

Roy,
How do you package your guns for shipment USPS?
Thanks,
Idaho PRB

UPS will not ship rifles except from dealer to dealer. They will ship a Replica Antique Firearm unless you just get some gun hater.

Antique' firearms need not be shipped to a licensed dealer. These can be shipped directly to the buyer. An antique firearm is a firearm built on or before 1898, or a replica thereof. The exact ATF definition of an antique firearm is:
Antique Firearm (a) Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (b) any replica of any firearm described in paragraph (a) of this definition if such replica (1) is not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition, or (2) uses rim fire or conventional center fire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

:cursing: :cursing:

Here's one way, compliments of Birddog. I ahve shipped several guns this way. That blue stuff is insulation you can get at Home Depot. It comes in a couple of different thicknesses. Just cut out the outline and crate her up.

TNProgress4-22-05001.jpg

I went to the Post Office and shipped a ML to Canada! I just gave them some papers we printed off the internet that says muzzloaders are not classified as a firearm.

check out a previous thread "what has brown done to you". boy, they can be a pain to deal with. they hope that you will give up so they don't have to pay off.

I have never had a problem shipping M/Ls via UPS. I just take them in open the box show the clerk what I have. I then tape the box and they ship it. Of course this is a small town and every one at UPS hunts shoots etc. They are just careful they need the jobs. :thumbsup:

A few guns I mail out using a very well packed cardboard box. TOTW sends a great box with their kits and I will re-use them, saves money for the person getting the gun. Then I have a big foam filled aluminium locked box that I also use, that is mailed back to me. I insure them well too, and that seems to always help.

pic of box with cardboard ends
nefowler114.JPG

inside the box
nefowler115.JPG

I shipped guns thru UPS for probably 20 years with out a hitch. Then one day last year they told me I couldn't do it anymore. I guess they don't need the $00 per year I was spending with them. :shake:
I've been using USPS now. I have to go out to the country PO to ship.20 mile round trip, but no hassels. They actually know their job. The City PO that is 1/4 mile away has an anti gun gripe working one of the windows that also hates men. I can't get anything shipped except letters through her.....

I'm lucky the PO people here all like me, and sort of curious everytime I mail something out.

Back