• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP! Traditions kentucky long rifle frustrasion.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10-4. Thanks to todays day and age i had to buy alot more powder than i wanted. So ive got 5lbs of goex fffg on the way lol. Ill let y'all know how it works, thanks for all your help, i greatly appreciate it.
When you start shooting that rifle with this real blackpowder your frustrations will dissipate and you’ll get a satisfied feeling when that pyrodex makes a thump in the trash can.

Would someone please explain to me what is meant by a patent breach. Thank you
A patent breech is one where there is a small diameter hole cut into the breech plug, that the touch hole intersects with. Basically creates a small antechamber at the breech end that fills with powder when a load is poured. It's not like a standard breech, where the breech plug is squared off and the touch hole simply enters the sidewall of the barrel and right into the area where the main charge is located.

So with a patent breech, the flash from the pan first ignites the small charge in the antechamber, which then ignites the main charge.

I could never see what advantage there is to the patent breech other than not having to drill a touch hole right into the barrel.

Last edited:
A patent breech is one where there is a small diameter hole cut into the breech plug, that the touch hole intersects with. Basically creates a small antechamber at the breech end that fills with powder when a load is poured. It's not like a standard breech, where the breech plug is squared off and the touch hole simply enters the sidewall of the barrel and right into the area where the main charge is located.

So with a patent breech, the flash from the pan first ignites the small charge in the antechamber, which then ignites the main charge.

I could never see what advantage there is to the patent breech other than not having to drill a touch hole right into the barrel.
Thank you for a clear explanation. Yes I agree. Can’t see much of a reason for it plus may present a cleaning poblem.

A picture may help.

1631578381867.png

Thank you for a clear explanation. Yes I agree. Can’t see much of a reason for it plus may present a cleaning poblem.
Supposedly heavier charges could be used because there is no hole into the wall where the main charge is, and there is greater wall thickness at the point of initial combustion.
At least that was my understanding, could be wrong.

I've only ever found them to be a pain the.....

Also the smaller chamber, especially figure XXXI above, created a very hot jet of flame into the powder charge for more reliable ignition. Many of the patent breeches were developed to improve performance of smooth bored fowling guns with shot charges.

The modern benefit of a chambered breech is in simplicity of manufacture. Both the percussion and flint lock barrels could be identical and the breech would determine if the gun was to be percussion or flint lock. The manufacturers used a smaller diameter chamber in the breech plug to match up with all the calibers of rifle barrels that could be used. Since for the most part, these configurations worked until the fouling built up too much. But dealing with the fouling from shooting was a problem for the shooter, not the manufacturer.

Also the smaller chamber, especially figure XXXI above, created a very hot jet of flame into the powder charge for more reliable ignition. Many of the patent breeches were developed to improve performance of smooth bored fowling guns with shot charges.

The modern benefit of a chambered breech is in simplicity of manufacture. Both the percussion and flint lock barrels could be identical and the breech would determine if the gun was to be percussion or flint lock. The manufacturers used a smaller diameter chamber in the breech plug to match up with all the calibers of rifle barrels that could be used. Since for the most part, these configurations worked until the fouling built up too much. But dealing with the fouling from shooting was a problem for the shooter, not the manufacturer.
Best explanation ever. They work great if shooters give some thought into caring for them. .

Due to the small explosion in the Anti-chamber the Whole barrel charge is ignited more quickly as the flash is punshed thu' it.. A few generations from Twigg to The Manton's prooved this true. A well made Patent breach is always very quick.. OLD DOG..

Back