• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help to identify a muzzle loader kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daryl simpson

32 Cal
Reaction score
I had an uncle pass away a few year back and I have inherited a muzzle loader barrel, blank stock and some parts. I would like to complete the project but need some help identifying what I have and how to get some drawing/instruction/document to proceed. I would be very grateful for any assistance.... See pictures below
Who is manufacturer of this barrel (32" lg, 7/8" at end, has wedding ring at transition point)?

Attachments

• IMG_2959.jpg
    IMG_2959.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_2960.jpg
    IMG_2960.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2961.jpg
    IMG_2961.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2962.jpg
    IMG_2962.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 108
Not sure it's a kit. Looks to me like parts he acquired for a custom build.

Is this there a book you can recommend related to custom building a muzzle loader like this one? I have an engineering background but I need a little more information about the parts and pieces ( I really don't even know the names of the parts)
I have built several RC airplanes from scratch but never a muzzle loader....

Go to the "gun builders bench" forum. From there you can get best advice.

Going from blank bare stock is going to take lots of work. Might be better to find out which mostly precarved stock will be best and get one.

I am going to guess from that single lever set trigger that this is a collection of parts from the 1970's. The single lever set triggers are usually not offered in any of the kits offered ny the usual custom kit suppliers. Are there any marking on any of the parts? A maker's stamp could exist on the barrel, lock and trigger. That information would give us some hints. Amy markings on the stock?

For a pretty good book to build a gun from scratch, I would get Peter Alexander's book, "The Gunsmith od Grenville County". I like the pictures and the detailed descriptions. There are some good videos out there. Look in the Gunbuilders' Forum for the building videos by Bill Raby. He gives very nice detailed hands on videos along with talking through the steps.

Last edited:
Is the barrel rifled or a smooth bore. My first guess if smooth would be a Fowler of some kind, but set triggers doesn’t fit. It is an interesting group of parts.

The way the set trigger is set up now you’d have to set them befor cocking the hammer. I would advise you remodel them to allow cocking the lock befor setting the trigger. Even an engineer should be able to do it!
Another book that maybe helpful is Recreating the American Long Rifle.

Back