• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help to ID Smoothbore Camel Rifle_ North African

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy a lot of muzzleloaders but I must take the entire lot. There is a wall hanger smoothbore camel rifle included that I have no idea specifically what it is or what would be a fair price to offer. Do we have any forum members who have knowledge of these guys or could direct me to a reference site ?

Please see the attached photos

Overall length is 5 ft 1 in
4 ft long smoothbore barrel of around a 66 caliber - 16.8 mm
Lots of carving on the metal and wood with falcons on the monster lock,

What information I've found on the internet if accurate leads me to believe its mid to late 1800's and from North Africa, Algiers , Morocco

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 110
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 110
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 105
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 105
  • e.jpg
    e.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 101
  • f.jpg
    f.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 108
  • g.jpg
    g.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 98
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 94
  • i.jpg
    i.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 97
Hi Old Rust

Yes, it's a Moroccan musket with the usual snaphaunce style lock. Unfortunately, it is missing parts and otherwise in fair to poor condition. Could be just a wall hanger. For me, it would be a good "parts" gun if you are interested.

Rick

The problem with "camel guns" is that there is very limited interest, you either love them or just drive by without slowing down. Then of course there is the condition, often poor and in this case missing parts too. We are assuming this is real which I believe it is and not a tourist piece. Rick is probably our resident expert on these guns and as he says either a wall hanger or source of parts. I have 3, 2 flint that are shooters and a matchlock that isn't as well as some accessories but I bought them quite reasonable. Even if you are able to turn this one over I doubt you'll make anything on it. I expect you would sit on this one for years before you find anyone interested. My suggestion (I've done it before) is that you say that it is almost completely valueless and that you'll take the lot if they throw that one in free.

Hi Old Rust

Yes, it's a Moroccan musket with the usual snaphaunce style lock. Unfortunately, it is missing parts and otherwise in fair to poor condition. Could be just a wall hanger. For me, it would be a good "parts" gun if you are interested.

Rick

Hi Rick I have a local who has some interest to make a wall hanger out of it. I appreciate your thoughts on a parts gun but I want to give him the courtesy since his is the first offer. I reached out to him and I'll let you know when he gets back to me. Thanks

The problem with "camel guns" is that there is very limited interest, you either love them or just drive by without slowing down. Then of course there is the condition, often poor and in this case missing parts too. We are assuming this is real which I believe it is and not a tourist piece. Rick is probably our resident expert on these guns and as he says either a wall hanger or source of parts. I have 3, 2 flint that are shooters and a matchlock that isn't as well as some accessories but I bought them quite reasonable. Even if you are able to turn this one over I doubt you'll make anything on it. I expect you would sit on this one for years before you find anyone interested. My suggestion (I've done it before) is that you say that it is almost completely valueless and that you'll take the lot if they throw that one in free.

Yes sir I agree. I do think they are cool in a way but I'm clueless about them. Wasn't sure if I should try to shoot it or blow into it like a trumpet ! <G> It was a no option deal as I had to take
the camel gun to get the two - 1870's fowlers. Thanks

Latest posts

Back