• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

help...stuck load...historic flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this is a historic rifle....it is loaded and ive tried every thing to get the load out...screw on ram rod wont touch it...its from santa clara indian pueblo and ill bet hasnt been shot in 200 years...i dont want to hurt the patina on the gun but would love to see whats in it...any ideas ??? fred fellows

Attachments

• IMG_6448.JPG
    IMG_6448.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
Have it X-rayed. A museum might be able to give you directions on this. If it’s loaded as suspected, there are various options. But it could be loaded with crapola, or an old charge, which would be ever-so-cool (I would get light oil into the powder charge to kill it and keep it “loaded” for historical preservation.)

thank you guys...i know by all of your other threads that you guys know your stuff.....ill start by pouring oil or rust remover down the barrel and letting it stand for a couple days and injecting oil in the flash hole...them if icant get a screw in ill see if i can talk a vet or dentist to x ray it...love to know whats in there...my god what if a ball bearing...in the rifle bag that came with the gun was crude made little belt pouch that had 3 balls and little cloth bags tied up with about a table spoon of buck shot in them also some flints...thanks again....fred

I pulled this out of an old rifle, I used a screw, and a worm over many hours. It came out in bits and pieces, not an easy job.

That looks like the old practice of guys putting an oil soaked rag down at the breech. The problem is if the owner isn't diligent, or passes away and nobody checks, the oil will polymerize in a lot of cases, and you get a chunk of hard something sticking to any pitting that was there from the past.

LD

I’d unload it. Who knows if years from now someone gets it to fire and shoots someone or it blows up?

thank you guys...i know by all of your other threads that you guys know your stuff.....ill start by pouring oil or rust remover down the barrel and letting it stand for a couple days and injecting oil in the flash hole...them if icant get a screw in ill see if i can talk a vet or dentist to x ray it...love to know whats in there...my god what if a ball bearing...in the rifle bag that came with the gun was crude made little belt pouch that had 3 balls and little cloth bags tied up with about a table spoon of buck shot in them also some flints...thanks again....fred
Don't do a thing. Carry the gun to a gun smith before you screw up . I have seen to many guns messed up because someone didn't know what to do and made it harder to remove. If you carry it now it will be easier to remove and should cost you less, I have seen guns come in that were beyond repair for what it would cost to fix solely due to someone messing with it.

I dont understand the fascination with pulling out what's in there. It's a part of the gun's history. Nutralize the powder with oil through the touch hole and keep it "loaded". Far more interesting that way, at least to silly o' me.
This right here. The load, whatever it may be, is part of the history of the arm. Leave it be. This is not some CVA or T/C rifle.

Latest posts

Back