• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HELP Shotgun Choices??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey :)

I love squirrel and rabbit hunting. I would love a double barrel percussion shotgun as it seems like a lot of fun. It seems the only modern maker is Pedersoli. Are their shotguns considered high quality? Do they have any issues to watch out for?

If the Pedersoli guns are good, what gauge? I am seeing their 12 gauge listed at weighing 7 lbs with a cylinder and modified bore. I also see they have a 20 gauge with modified and full bores. They even have a 10 gauge but I’m thinking that’d be a little too much but maybe not?

FE4ACE99-2820-4403-904D-054B62A82CB9.jpeg

Again my main uses would be squirrel and rabbits, but it would be great fun to try clays as I live next to the worlds largest trap shooting center.

Any tips and help are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Smokey

I’ve enjoyed my Pedersoli for a very long time. It’s a 12 gauge and can be loaded down to a light 20 load and I’ve shot a load that most would considered a 10 gauge load. There’s been no issues with the gun at all. Being a nasty heathen I have used plastic wads as they shot well and load quickly.
IMG_0680 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Pedersoli sxs are nice and Navy Arms made a sxs that is no longer in production but was lighter weight. There are also a lot of original sxs that are shooters. Most can be loaded light or heavy to meet your hunting requirements.There are lots of possibilities.

My understanding of the Pedersoli doubles is that they are pretty decent shotguns. Never had one yet but have talked to folks that seem to really like them. I'm planning on getting the 20 when I can but that is just my favorite gauge in BP or modern. You can adjust the loads in the 20 or 12 just about any way you want (within reason) with any brand. I recently bought a really old 12 double off GunBroker for around 220.00 or something like that. Those old ones are available and offer tons of style and history. Sometimes at a cut-rate price. Good luck with your decision.

I have the Pedersoli 12 gauge that does weigh 7 lbs (based on specs) and is lighter than my unmentionable shotgun, so much easier to carry. I’m happy with it. I think you could probably load it however you wanted. Square loads 75 grains 2F and 1 oz. #7 work pretty good for clays, but you could probably use less powder on trap.

My family has two of the more recent Pedersoli's that are in the 7 pound range and one of the older ones that is 5 1/2 pounds. The new ones are the same weight in 20, 12 and 10 gauge (7.4 pounds listed in the catalog). We've loaded the 20 (which actually uses 19-gauge components) to a square load with 1 1/8 ounce of shot for waterfowl, turkey and occasionally pheasant. Typically that is what we load in the newer 12-bore (which uses 12- gauge components). We have loaded the 12 to 1 3/8 ounce but found it was mostly unnecessary. However, that gun says on the bottom of the barrel 95 gains and 1 1/4 ounce MAX. The 1970's Pedersoli that is much lighter has been loaded a few times with 1 1/8 ounce square loads, but really patterns best with 1-ounce loads. That one uses 13-gauge components.

Of these, the modern 12 has screw in choke tubes, the older lightweight 12 has IC/LM and the 20 has IC/M for chokes. Another note is that the modern 12 has highly blackened barrels while the older 12 and modern 20 have browned barrels. The 20 features a mid- bead, the 12s have just one.
They are all the exact same stock dimensions. LOP 14 5/8, D@C 1 3/8 and D@H 2 1/4. The two modern ones have chrome lined barrels.

I don't own the 10-gauge but a friend does and I've shot it. He loads up to 1 3/8 - ounce square. The stock dimensions are a little different at 14 1/4 x
1 1/2 x 2 1/12. The chokes are IC/M.

We've loaded all of these down to 3/4-ounce square loads and prefer that for skeet or preserve birds. For wild birds like quail, woodcock and dove we load them to 7/8-ounce. A lot of times we have one shot measure and one shot pouch with the spout set for 1-ounce and just use that regardless of the gauge.

The thing about the 20 is the smaller width of the barrels at the muzzle don't show up so much in your vision and give a more detailed reference on birds that you're leading. Some people prefer this and tend to shoot better with a narrower profile at the muzzle. For squirrels and rabbits I'd grab the 20 any day and feel more than adequate.

I've had a few 12g and a couple 10g Pedersoli doubles. The 10g fit me better than the 12g sans the 1978 built one.

One made in 83 shot off poa but I fixed it then it was good.
My current 10g does it all. Although heavy I've shot crow, fox and geese. Pheasant too. It'll shoot 1oz to 2oz. Very versatile.

If I could only have one it would be a 12. Load it up or down to meet the needs of the day. And, if you anticipate going for waterfowl, the 12 is the least gun you will want.

I concur with Hermit Tim on old double unmentionables. I have several all with 2.5 inch chambers. Those short cartridges kill birds just as dead as the 3.5 inchers and without battering me in the bargain. If you happen to find an old one with damascus barrels do not be put off. Properly fed they are every bit as good as fluid steel and are not the latent grenades people sometimes claim they are.

You speak of rabbit and squirrel so you will be walking. Maybe chasing a dog. Get a lighter gun. Learn to mount it properly so recoil does not batter you. You will have enough to carry without excessive gun weight.

I actually got the best patterns from an older Pedersoli in 20 gauge with IC/M barrels. That old superlight 12 gauge double that Navy imported was made by Pietta, if memory serves -- and sometimes it doesn't.
Biggest issue with Pedersoli doubles is that in some of them, the trigger is much better on one of the locks than the other. Maybe they have fixed this.

The only doubles I currently own are original guns 20, 15, and 12. Years ago I bought a Cabelas branded Pedersoli with screw-in chokes I didn't care for it. When it had full choke tubes installed it was a bear to load with standard wads.

I actually got the best patterns from an older Pedersoli in 20 gauge with IC/M barrels. That old superlight 12 gauge double that Navy imported was made by Pietta, if memory serves -- and sometimes it doesn't.
Biggest issue with Pedersoli doubles is that in some of them, the trigger is much better on one of the locks than the other. Maybe they have fixed this.
My 2020 Pedersoli has a pretty stiff back trigger. In the instructions they said this was somehow unavoidable, but doesn’t matter on a shotgun. My opinion differs from theirs, but as I said, I am not unhappy with my gun.

Have owned two of the Pedersoli 12 gauge shotguns ,, sold them. Now am the proud owner of a Pedersoli 20 gauge SxS. Handles like a dream. Shoots great even tho the barrels are IC/Cylinder bore. I have never liked a "square load" as I found it to have too many holes in the pattern. It was lousy on doves and chuckars. Found a good number of loads for me that works on everything. Chrome lined barrels are a nice touch. All my Pedersoli guns are first class.

My 2020 Pedersoli has a pretty stiff back trigger. In the instructions they said this was somehow unavoidable, but doesn’t matter on a shotgun. My opinion differs from theirs, but as I said, I am not unhappy with my gun.
In my experience, trigger pull can be adjusted (whether one wants to or not) by loosening or tightening the bridle screw that goes through the sear.

I have a few SxS muzzleloading shotguns, a Pedersoli 20 and 10 gauge, and an original Robert Chaplain 13 gauge SxS made in Birmingham, UK in the 1850's. I haven't shot the Pedersoli's in over a decade, not because I dislike them or they are poor performers, but I got stuff I like better. If going SxS, I take the antique, there is just something I love about originals that seduces me. More often if I'm wanting a shotgun, I use my flint Northwest Tradegun in 20 gauge, or my original smoothbore US 1842 Musket. In all my smoothbores, I use slightly more shot by volume than powder, and that seems to work best.

Performance wise, got nothing bad to say about MY Pedersoli's, they just don't interest me a great deal compared to others. Often thought about selling them, but I bought them back in the 90's very cheap, and would never be able to replace them at today's prices.

Back