• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help. Scared. What to do.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently purchased a "new" Investarms Hawken from Dixie Gun and the barrel had a date stamp of 2017. I thought that was strange at the time but the barrel looked fine. Now I have come across this post from mmull56, "Lyman GPR's are no longer available from Lyman and this has sparked a lot of interest in buying one while they're still out there. Just remember there was a recall of 2017 models ser.#'s A595960 thru A599026 for possible breach failures. Check before you buy, I'm sure some unknowingly slipped through the cracks!" My serial # is A598564. Investarms was making the barrels for Lyman so those were Investarms barrels I'm assuming. Did I get a barrel that was sent back as a recall and then cycled back out to me as new? I know GPR barrels are generally longer and have a different twist so would those numbers apply to me? The failure was that the threaded part of the breech plug would break causing the barrel and breech plug to separate. I don't know what to do here. Maybe secure the gun to a tire, put a long string on the trigger and proof it with about 150 grains of FFFg?

How about contacting Lyman first? Lyman Customer Service Department by emailing [email protected] or by calling 800-225-9626 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. EST.
Thanks for the contact info. I emailed them. This a weird situation. Lymans recall but Investarms' barrels. And sold by Dixie.

Last edited:
Crisis is over! I called Dixie Gun Works and they said those barrels were reworked before being sent out. After seeing a video of what happened to a guy when his gun blew up in his face I sure did not want that happening to me. I guess Investarms had those barrels held back in storage and with the shortage and demand today fixed 'em up and sent them out.

Latest posts

Back