• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkloos

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I guess it is good that I decided to make a few practice kits again before heading out and charging money for them. So I inletted the lock, barrel, and trigger, and when I inletted the lock I cut part of the sear away so that it did not interfere with the opposite side of the wood. But now when I go to pull the trigger to test the lock... nothing. I looked, and the trigger is too low and to the left of the sear which sets off the lock... meaning my stupid self cut the sear too small! My first though was to solder a tiny rectangle of metal to the sear in order to make the contact with the trigger, but that attempt was unsuccessful. Any ideas? Do I need to buy a new lock now? Maybe I can find just the sear somewhere? I seem to be a very dumb gunbuilder, alas, if we could all do it so well what would be the fun? :redface:

It depends on what kind of kit it is, but I thik you should just be able to buy a new sear from the manufacturer and install it into the lock.

Randy Hedden

Replacing the sear would probably be the easiest way. You might could have a welder add a dollop of weld to the end to give you some added length also. A little file work to shape it and you're good to go.

You should be able to contact the manufacturer of the lock and order another sear. Unfortunately, the piece you cut takes a bit of abuse, and unless you weld on an extension, the piece will not work well or at all (as you have experienced). I cringe every time I have to do this, but I deepen the hole that sear bar goes in to. I just make sure to measure carefully and hope that I don't blow out the other side.

I would buy a new sear & chalk it up to experience.

I seldom cut off the sear arm, I remove wood under it. IF ..... you are gettinc close to the other side, then you could take a little off, but you MARK it first to insure you remove Only what is necessary......

Sometimes you have to heat & bend the sear to make the arm go to the proper place, and when you do you should temper the arm after ya get it positioned right. :thumbsup:

If it is a major lock maker like Chambers or Davis for example. TOTW sells spare parts for these locks. You can call them at: 763-633-2500. They'll fix ya up! :winking:

Wow those guys are incredible. I sent them an inquiry and an hour later they said they had my credit card info already, and are shipping out my sear arm on monday. What a lock saver! :bow:

Back