• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help please what’s it worth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shannack.....my apologies if you took my first post wrong, I was just chastised by a guy (in another thread?) who felt my humor was in bad taste. He only cut and paste line one though not the part where I told ya it was worth way more. Had I stopped at 1st line I would have been a "Will Smith" HA! Anyway Its was in jest (line one).

Per above though consider following the footsteps of yer uncle and pop, you may really like it! Its addictive.
A friend told me something that we should always remember "It's only an addiction if you want to quit"

I built one of those from a kit in 54. Hunted one season and gave it to a grandson. It was and is a tack driving big game rifle. The bore condition is the key. Clean the bore up and get some pictures with a bore light.

Personally not into reenactment, but doubt this gun was used for reenactment. Still a nice gun, and worth some coin if bore is in good shape.

That would have been a commonly used rifle reenacting the rocky mountain fur trade era.

Personally not into reenactment, but doubt this gun was used for reenactment. Still a nice gun, and worth some coin if bore is in good shape.
That would have been a commonly used rifle reenacting the rocky mountain fur trade era.
When I considered reenacting, the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade era just didn’t come to mind. I stand corrected. Thank you.

I

no interest in keeping it. I’m a modern pistol girl. I’d rather sell it to someone who has a love of these old rifles & would like to restore it back to better health & enjoy it for what it is.
I'm sure if it's priced right, you'll find a taker here or elsewhere.
It's sort of the "Chevy Impala" of guns. Very affordable, decently made, and "used" it's great for a new driver/shooter!

20220330_085021.jpg
1989 CVA percussion mountain rifle kit I am working on now

I have the exact same rifle and I got it for $200 at a gun show. Needed some TLC so I am currently refinishing it. Should have it done this week.

This is the one I built over 20 years ago and gave to a grandson. These are excellent shooters as you can tell by the final filing off of the front sight just after it was finished. RB and 100 grains of goex ff.

fulllength.JPG
lockandforearm2.JPG
patchbox2.JPG
Target.JPG

Exactly what I figured given your NC location. :thumb:
Oh, I am more than aware of Fur Trade reenactments, it’s just not the first reenactment type I think of. Grew up in NY, and parents were from PA - saw many of the battle sites and forts in both states growing up. Now live about an hour from both Kings Mountain and Cowpens. Rocky Mountain Fur Trade stuff, not so much. And when I have been out West (CO, NM, UT, WY among other states), can’t think of any points of interest that were centered around the Fur Trade era, not to say they weren’t there, they were just missed.

Back to the OP. @Shannak, I don’t believe anyone has suggested making sure your gun isn’t loaded. Happenns more often than you would think with muzzleloaders. Have you checked? If not, remove the ramrod from under the barrel and put it all the way down the bore. If the ramrod is the correct length, it should be about flush with the muzzle. Let us know what you find.

As far as selling the gun, time is on your side as prices are going up every day. If you were to clean it up and wait say six months to a year you will do better than investing in the stock market in my opinion. I am also guessing that by now you have had a few PMs offering to buy the gun. I would suggest that if you are going to sell it here, place an add with it at the higher end of the suggested prices. If it doesn’t sell quick enough for you, you can drop your price. Another thing is the time of the year. Guns like yours are usually more in demand in the late summer and early fall, aka, hunting season.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Shannak, Something no one has asked, are you interested in cleaning it up to presentable condition for top dollar or rather sell it like it is? Not everyone has the desire to take a rifle completely apart for a full clean up like many of us on this board, and that is fine, too.

Gentlemen, let's give this woman a realistic price range for the rifle in its as is condition. This way she has a choice of which direction she wants to take this sale. $150? $200? $250-$300? What is this rifle worth to any one of you on this thread that would enjoy restoring it for your use or for a son, son in law or grandson's use? (My former wife would have shot it, so that isn't to say a daughter, wife or mother in law isn't included)

Thanks for asking us. As you can see, a bunch of men still trying to relive their youths love to answer questions and reminisce about their past time.

If I were gonna buy it (selling another .54 Investarms her myself) I would go for$400.00 as is. I myself like the old look it shows now, basic clean and oil and full scrub in the bote and we out the door for a meat harvest!

I think $400 s smyself, in my opinion she wount make enough difference to clean it up as she is not into BP anyway.

Oh, I am more than aware of Fur Trade reenactments, it’s just not the first reenactment type I think of. Grew up in NY, and parents were from PA - saw many of the battle sites and forts in both states growing up. Now live about an hour from both Kings Mountain and Cowpens. Rocky Mountain Fur Trade stuff, not so much. And when I have been out West (CO, NM, UT, WY among other states), can’t think of any points of interest that were centered around the Fur Trade era, not to say they weren’t there, they were just missed.

Back to the OP. @Shannak, I don’t believe anyone has suggested making sure your gun isn’t loaded. Happenns more often than you would think with muzzleloaders. Have you checked? If not, remove the ramrod from under the barrel and put it all the way down the bore. If the ramrod is the correct length, it should be about flush with the muzzle. Let us know what you find.

As far as selling the gun, time is on your side as prices are going up every day. If you were to clean it up and wait say six months to a year you will do better than investing in the stock market in my opinion. I am also guessing that by now you have had a few PMs offering to buy the gun. I would suggest that if you are going to sell it here, place an add with it at the higher end of the suggested prices. If it doesn’t sell quick enough for you, you can drop your price. Another thing is the time of the year. Guns like yours are usually more in demand in the late summer and early fall, aka, hunting season.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you for the tips. I’ll be doing a little work on it very soon & more likely posting it for sale on here very soon.

I would really like to thank you all for your thoughts, advice, suggestions & input. I think I’m going to try to clean it up a bit & hopefully remove enough rust to break it down so it can be shipped. It will be going up for sale on here as soon as I can get it cleaned up a bit for the buyer. All you fine gentlemen keep me in mind & bolo for the listing. I do sincerely appreciate the info & quick & dirty lesson in black powder rifles. And just so y’all know….
I have no problem with men haggling over my wares! 🤣🤣🙏🏻😊😉

I have no problem with men haggling over my wares! 🤣🤣🙏🏻😊😉
😅,
Be sure to follow the rules of the forums "for sale stuff",, it's easy to do,
Here's a tip, when ya list a price, be sure to add "OBO" as "Or best offer",, with perhaps a closing date,, and get ready,, you'll be swamped with Pm's,, if your not already, ;)

You might also advertise it as a F-F deal listing your state, meaning face to face and then you don't have to ship it, the buyer comes to you. Meet in a public place, as I always do. If you ship it go to Wal-Mart and buy 2-3 cheap bath towels and wrap the barrel and the stock individually, one towel for the barrel and 2 for the stock, after you disassemble it, so each component is padded well. That's what I do. Put the two wedges in a large envelope so they don't get lost. Oil the barrel well before wrapping. Then put them together in one box. Do not tell the shipping company what the box contains or you might have a hassle, even tho it is legal to ship a BP gun directly to a buyer. Sometimes you mention "gun" and the receiving clerk goes ballistic. Insure it for full value and send the buyer the tracking number. Forgive me if you know all of this, but some people aren't used to shipping guns. Good luck and let us all know when you list it for sale so we can check the ads. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back