• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help please what’s it worth?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many consider the CVA Mountain Rifle the best traditional muzzle loading rifle offered by CVA. Being the Big Bore Mountain Rifle in 54 caliber makes it better. Unfortunately, that does not make it a lot more valuable than the $400 to $425 mentioned earlier. Sure, one can be "stolen" for $150 on occasion, but in today's market that won't be common.

The CVA Mountain Rifle is a solid performing rifle. @Shannak, yours does need the restorative action of a good clean up and a fresh coating of wax on the wood.

To me, the bore looks like the exterior with some pitting. Because of the rust I would say in the 300-350 range. But other guys here seem to think they would pay 400 or more including the rust. Would they pay that or think someone else would pay that?
Post it for sale when you are able and ask $400, you can always lower the price if it is not selling. If you have any inkling that you might want to keep it and shoot it, you should do so since it came from your Father.

Hello,
I’m brand new so please forgive me if I’m posting in the wrong forum.
No worries I moved it to Percussion, since your rifle is not an antique.

I have what appears to be a Connecticut Valley Arms black powder flintlock rifle that .54 caliber. I’m hoping someone can give me a good idea of what, if anything it’s worth.
the wood/stock seems to be in very good condition. The iron has some slight pitting & a little bit of rust. Overall it seems to be in pretty good condition. I think it just needs a good cleaning & some TLC.
I would appreciate any info & if someone could give me an idea of what it might be worth. 😊

To me, the bore looks like the exterior with some pitting. Because of the rust I would say in the 300-350 range. But other guys here seem to think they would pay 400 or more including the rust. Would they pay that or think someone else would pay that?
Post it for sale when you are able and ask $400, you can always lower the price if it is not selling. If you have any inkling that you might want to keep it and shoot it, you should do so since it came from your Father.

So probably as @rafterob wrote, as-is likely $300-$350. It would bring (imho) a bit more $$$ if it was cleaned up and the rust removed. A person who has some knowledge could add a bit more IF..., it was cleaned up well, the stock refinished, and perhaps a bit more was done, ... including a bore photo, and perhaps a test target shot, to get it safely up to the $450 + value range.

LD

Thank you all so much for the information. 🙏🏻
I really appreciate all the advice & opinions. I will be putting it up for sale. I have my daddy’s .40 S&W MP that I shoot & use for home defense so I’m not as emotionally attached to the CVA.
Sale of the CVA will help finance my recent purchase of a Saint Victor & a future purchase of a Canik sfx blackout.
now to find that FOR SALE forum on here….. 🤣

Also, did anything come with the rifle? Shooting bag, powder horn, accessories? Those things will help if you decide to shoot it. If you did not receive anything with it, don't let that discourage you.
All I have is the rifle & the bag it’s been stored in you see in the pictures.

Shannack.....my apologies if you took my first post wrong, I was just chastised by a guy (in another thread?) who felt my humor was in bad taste. He only cut and paste line one though not the part where I told ya it was worth way more. Had I stopped at 1st line I would have been a "Will Smith" HA! Anyway Its was in jest (line one).

Per above though consider following the footsteps of yer uncle and pop, you may really like it! Its addictive.
No need to apologize. Takes way more than your comment to offend me. 😊

Shot one a few times- .530 round ball, 15 thousands patch, home made lube, 80 gr. 3-f charge, deadly accurate out to 100 yards, put a few deer in the freezer with that rifle would not part with it at the current market.

Thank you all so much for the information. 🙏🏻
I really appreciate all the advice & opinions. I will be putting it up for sale. I have my daddy’s .40 S&W MP that I shoot & use for home defense so I’m not as emotionally attached to the CVA.
Sale of the CVA will help finance my recent purchase of a Saint Victor & a future purchase of a Canik sfx blackout.
now to find that FOR SALE forum on here….. 🤣
Meant to say Canik sfx darkside

Hello,
I have what appears to be a Connecticut Valley Arms black powder flintlock rifle that .54 caliber. I’m hoping someone can give me a good idea of what, if anything it’s worth.
the wood/stock seems to be in very good condition. The iron has some slight pitting & a little bit of rust. Overall it seems to be in pretty good condition. I think it just needs a good cleaning & some TLC.
I would appreciate any info & if someone could give me an idea of what it might be worth. 😊
While not a college tuition value rifle, still a solid gun to learn with. Not a "Great" first gun but certainly not a bad gun by any means. They were a very comercially available gun with pretty good production value. My advice, have somebody who knows guns give it a once over then find a range where some muzzleloader types shoot and set up a date at the range. You'll need some basics, eye and ear protection for you, powder, ball, patches and percussion caps for the gun. A cleaning jag to run the patches through the gun and maybe some kind of patch lube for loading. There's tons of information on how to shoot muzzleloaders here. Soak some of that up for a while first. Have some fun with it a couple times. If it ain't for you, make a gift of the gun to somebody you really like who'll make use of it. OR, just sell it. It's absolutely worth a few hundred bucks in good shooting order. OR, hang it on the wall.
Neil

Shot one a few times- .530 round ball, 15 thousands patch, home made lube, 80 gr. 3-f charge, deadly accurate out to 100 yards, put a few deer in the freezer with that rifle would not part with it at the current market.
I
While not a college tuition value rifle, still a solid gun to learn with. Not a "Great" first gun but certainly not a bad gun by any means. They were a very comercially available gun with pretty good production value. My advice, have somebody who knows guns give it a once over then find a range where some muzzleloader types shoot and set up a date at the range. You'll need some basics, eye and ear protection for you, powder, ball, patches and percussion caps for the gun. A cleaning jag to run the patches through the gun and maybe some kind of patch lube for loading. There's tons of information on how to shoot muzzleloaders here. Soak some of that up for a while first. Have some fun with it a couple times. If it ain't for you, make a gift of the gun to somebody you really like who'll make use of it. OR, just sell it. It's absolutely worth a few hundred bucks in good shooting order. OR, hang it on the wall.
Neil
no interest in keeping it. I’m a modern pistol girl. I’d rather sell it to someone who has a love of these old rifles & would like to restore it back to better health & enjoy it for what it is.

Well, slap a price on it & put you an ad in the classified section here. Just know that most likely you’ll have to ship it. Not that hard just break it down put it in a box big enough to add sufficient padding and tape, tape, tape it up good.

To take it down remove the ramrod(the stick under the barrel) put it on half-cock(the first click when you pull the hammer back) remove the two wedges and the barrel will lift out of the stock making for a s smaller, handier package.

Personally not into reenactment, but doubt this gun was used for reenactment. Still a nice gun, and worth some coin if bore is in good shape.
Hello,
Do not be fooled by silly [humorous] replies. It is a Mountain rifle made in Spain. If the barrel were marked Made In USA it would be worth a bit more. However it is worth from about $275 to $450 depending on condition and pocketbook of the bidder. I have two, made in USA, and I would get around $450 for either of mine. You should get some good bids if you list it in classifieds here. Read the rules about selling, must have some info included on a paper with a picture. Hey, welcome and stay with us. Enjoy a great forum on history, old and recreated weaponry and lots more. Dale [Polecat] :thumb:

Latest posts

Back