Help Please! Trying to identify...

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Dave Rodgers

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello everyone...I'm really not a firearms expert, but picked up the following muzzleloader and I'm trying to get some info on it, date it, and a rough valuation so that I can eventually sell it reasonably. I'm appealing to your wisdom and experience

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
It's a London-marked percussion action fowling piece from around the eighteen-forties, when the back-action lock and the percussion system became more wide-spread among buyers. It MAY have been converted from a flintlock. However, the barrel was proofed in Birmingham. The crossed sceptres in this style were in use from 1813 to 1904. Good pictures, BTW. They help a lot.

Treestalker

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Dave, it resembles a gun brought in for repairs back in the '80s that had a cherry stock and long barrel. It had been badly broken at the wrist. It was dated 1831 and was probably a 'made from spare parts' gun. As I recall it was 16 guage, American. It had that large 'flat' checkering on the wrist, and Mr. Miller did an outstanding job on it, inserting a steel rod and epoxying the wrist back together, then re-cutting the checkering and matching the original finish/patina. I imagine there were lots of guns made up like these back in the day. Just a versatile homestead shotgun. Your gun appears to be made up in walnut with the barrel fitted with a drum and using a civilian 'Enfield' type percussion lock. Really a neat piece, it could tell tales of woe for small game and birds, Geo.

Dave Rodgers

32 Cal
Reaction score
Interesting stuff...I actually obtained it from a guy who has had it for the last 25 years. According to him, he bought it from an antique shop up in Vermont.

I know valuation is difficult -- it's worth what someone would pay for it. But, I'm not a collector and would rather see it have a good home for a reasonable price. Any idea what the market for something like this is?

Brokennock

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Are you in the Vermont New Hampshire area? There is a similar, though locally made (in the 1860s-1880s) piece on the wall for sale at Trader John's gun shop in Winchester, N.H. I can't remember his asking price. Maybe take it over there and compare notes.

Dave Rodgers

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm actually in Philadelphia, just moved here from the VT border a few years ago. The last owner is also from Philadelphia.

TFoley

62 Cal.
Reaction score
I didn't realise that the Royal Small Arms factory at Enfield Lock made ANY kind of civilian components. I have four such Enfield rifles right here in front of me, and none of them have that odd profile at the front, and in the area where, in a flintlock, the pan would have been situated. Such a gun is far more likely to have had a back-action lock, as I suggested in my earlier post.

Reaction score
Hi Dave! That's a good looking old Smooth Bore I've got one similar..
My gun is a full stock with a 48 inch barrel it's got the same double stampmed crown and scepter I was told if it doesn't have the the view or proof letters around the stamp that is a pre 1813 civilian proof. My gun also has the London stamp on top of barrel 16 guage.

crankshaft

40 Cal
Reaction score
The market for these are going down, down.
And many other antiques.
Down.

Keb

50 Cal.
Reaction score
It's nothing spectacular. Most old single & double smooth bored guns max out at $400.00.