• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Pedersoli Alamo Flintlock issue

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was given the opportunity to purchase a Pedersoli Alamo 50 cal with a problem. A gun shop had the rifle and found that the hammer would not stay in full cock. I purchased for $200.00 and everything is in good shape with small rust spots. I removed the lock and found that a previous owner had filed on the sear and took to much off. My problem is limited tools and I cannot remove the hammer to replace the sear. How do I remove the hammer with out making a mess? Appreciate any help.

You shouldn't need to remove the hammer to replace the sear. Do you mean the tumbler?

This is the link to the Pedersoli site and the illustrated parts list of the Alamo.

S214-S217.pdf (davide-pedersoli.com)

The sear is part 44 and the tumbler (that is attached to the hammer) is part 40.
The exploded view i was looking at was not as clear but you are correct the tumbler is the part with the previous work done. I just want to replace the part not the lock. Grandkids will enjoy it if I can get it done. I will enjoy saving some money.

Hopefully you will get a hardened tumbler. It needs to be hardened so it doesn't wear.

What does the sear look like? If the tumbler got some unpleasant work done to it, it is possible that the nose of the sear is no longer a good fit to the tumbler.

You will need a lock mainspring vise to disassemble the lock or you may be looking for a new mainspring.

I will check into those parts. If the cost gets to much a new lock is 180. I look at the fact that I am a rookie working on the fine stuff and just pay a little more. I did not see any work on the sear. Too much material removed and the angle on the knotchs are the problems with the tumbler.

Hopefully you will get a hardened tumbler. It needs to be hardened so it doesn't wear.

What does the sear look like? If the tumbler got some unpleasant work done to it, it is possible that the nose of the sear is no longer a good fit to the tumbler.

You will need a lock mainspring vise to disassemble the lock or you may be looking for a new mainspring.
I ordered the tumbler, sear and was a touch over $75. Factory parts. Used a brass bar shaped and a 1 1/8" socket to remove hammer. Thanks to all for the help.

Back