• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help needed: Flintlock English sporting rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Caywood makes a nice looking English game gun. I cannot speak to current levels of quality but most folks seem happy with their products.

dave

Hey all. I am looking for a simple rifle in the English Sporting Rifle style. Aside from the Jim Chambers "English Gentleman's Sporting Rifle, Model RK-12" does anyone have a suggestion.? I am looking for a working rifle, so probably without all the embellishment. Just a single trigger, shotgun style butt - like the old T/C Pennsylvania hunter.
I am considering the Pedersoli Mortimer, but I want something shorter and lighter.

Any suggestions?
I’ve been in the process of figuring out exactly what I want a British Sporting Rifle to look like. A quick internet search will reveal both flintlock and percussion versions, the percussion rifles being the perfection attained at the end of a long road. Because I had a percussion rifle built for early season here in PA, i decided a flintlock built exactly the way I need will be the late season rifle to see me to the end of my muzzleloader hunting. If you want a flintlock, then you have to decide between the “typical” colonial flintlock by RE Davis/ Chambers/ Rice or their late Ketland & Manton-style (waterproof pan) styles. Then there’s the trigger, which was usually single but some could also be set after cocking the gun. Bores were pretty big, like 58, 62, 66, 69 caliber, swamped barrel by Colerain or Rice. I don’t see the usual British/ English trigger guard on Track, but there are probably some out there in the channels of trade. I could go on, but if you want to know more of what I have learned, feel free to ask. Good luck and have fun

Hi,
English flintlock rifles and sporting guns are one of my favorite topics and I've built quite a few. It is hard to get the right components that do those original guns justice.

hQuR8YI.jpg

9QgprWS.jpg

mSTT2VT.jpg

ellOP4f.jpg

tWLTocB.jpg

MNwjAno.jpg

mAI4vez.jpg

8eWp1gK.jpg

qNF0RGm.jpg

2uLC2kj.jpg

CzT2aMf.jpg

dave

Hi Dave , great work , presented by great photography . I think your firearm photographs are of a consistently higher quality than any one else on this forum . Maybe we should have a thread on firearm photography ?

Back