• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help, need trigger guard.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
another option if for some reason the very generous offer from Andy52 doesn't work out is the local high school or community college metal shop. a mid grade student could braze that for you in 20 minutes. 15 for set up, 2 for brazing, 3 for cooling down.
You are correct pretty easy task, it's on its way to me and I'll post up a couple of photos of the job.

That is a nice looking pistol (grip work sets it off) and glad it’s going to be fixed by a generous member. Pics upon return required.

Update on the trigger guard. Now that I have it in hand I don't think brazing is the right way to go with this. The metal is a bit less than 1/16 and would get way too hot to braze it would just melt away.
So I'm going to use a high temp silver solder that has a tensile strength of 70,000 lbs. I don't have to heat it to brazing temps to make it flow.

Update on the trigger guard. Now that I have it in hand I don't think brazing is the right way to go with this. The metal is a bit less than 1/16 and would get way too hot to braze it would just melt away.
So I'm going to use a high temp silver solder that has a tensile strength of 70,000 lbs. I don't have to heat it to brazing temps to make it flow.
Thanks for the update ! I think the silver solder will do the job just fine.

Thanks for the info. Would you have a pic and part number you could share ?
I apologize for missing your request. The guard I needed was for a CVA Kentucky, yours is a CVA Hawken, and the two different. But I would bet you could find something similar to what you need at MBS, they have a lot of trigger guards to look through.

This is the Classic English with acorn finial (TGP-400-B) that was a very close match to the original CVA Kentucky guard in loop size and overall shape, after I got it all polished up and pretty.

Screenshot_20220730-184937_Gallery.jpg

I apologize for missing your request. The guard I needed was for a CVA Kentucky, yours is a CVA Hawken, and the two different. But I would bet you could find something similar to what you need at MBS, they have a lot of trigger guards to look through.

This is the Classic English with acorn finial (TGP-400-B) that was a very close match to the original CVA Kentucky guard in loop size and overall shape, after I got it all polished up and pretty.

View attachment 152834

No worries my friend. I do appreciate the info and part number.
One of our great members, andy52 is repairing my original triggerguard for me.
Have a great evening
Bill

Not knowing how long the guard has been broken I put it in a soaking acetone Saturday to remove any oil that might be imbedded in the crack.
Tomorrow we'll see how the pieces match up. I don't want to disturb the crack to much because I'll use it as a "key" to align the pieces.

Back