• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

---HELP ----Mildew starting on tent

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carney Pace

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just back from 5 day Rendezvous with rain everyday.
First I have ever had mildew on tent. Tent was built in 1986, hardly ever see mildew on canvas.
Have seen reference to use white vinegar to kill mildew, is that correct? Better ideas.

Thanks
Carney

How long did you leave it folded up before bringing it home and setting it back up to completley let it dry, set the tent up and use a mild detergent and plastic bristle scrub brush, once removed let the tent stand a few days in direct sunlight. Be absoutly sure the tent is dry before putting it away.

Once it starts there is no coming back I'm sorry to say, bleach will help but it also weakens the fabric and the rain proving, oxi-clean would be a better choice it's not as harsh. Once you get the mold stabilized try using a sealant so it doesn't get worse

Yep. White vinegar and sunlight! Had a leather holster that was put away wet, and it got the mildew pretty bad. I wiped with white vinegar, and had it the truck bed (the blacked lined truck bed gets hot!) out in the sun for a few hours over the course of several day. Sure fixed the issue.

Just back from 5 day Rendezvous with rain everyday.
First I have ever had mildew on tent. Tent was built in 1986, hardly ever see mildew on canvas.
Have seen reference to use white vinegar to kill mildew, is that correct? Better ideas.

Thanks
Carney
There must be some laundry spray that kills it on cloth. The vinegar sounds good, whatever you use make sure is safe and won't break down fabric fibers.

I was recently gifted a canvas tent. It was pretty nasty with a rust colored mold. Cleaned it up with a mild Clorox solution (1% or less) and sunshine.

My question now is what to put on the tent to make it water resistant. Went hunting and luckily only had rain the last day. Needless to say, I found the leaks.

I was recently gifted a canvas tent. It was pretty nasty with a rust colored mold. Cleaned it up with a mild Clorox solution (1% or less) and sunshine.

My question now is what to put on the tent to make it water resistant. Went hunting and luckily only had rain the last day. Needless to say, I found the leaks.
Canvac think thats how you spell it, put it in a yard sprayer set the tent up and spray it down really good, let it dry in the sun.

Back