• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me spend my money

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fastleo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What 44 cal revolver is best? I plan on mainly target shooting. I don't care about being historically correct. I just want the best revolver that will last me a long time.

What 44 cal revolver is best? I plan on mainly target shooting. I don't care about being historically correct. I just want the best revolver that will last me a long time.

35E33CD9-B401-43B1-A442-91C7B58607E4.jpeg
The bottom one. Pietta 1860 Army.

Ruger Old Army or ROA. If not (they have not been produced for years now) I would say a steel framed Colt replica over a Remington replica. Now I like brass framed .36 Colts with reduced powder charges, but that's ME. A steel framed Colt Army from Pietta will serve you well. If you buy an Uberti, then the short arbor issue will raise it's ugly head.

One more vote for steel frame 1858 type. Cadillac of 'em being the Ruger. After that, I'd say Uberti - I like my Lyman branded one, made same year I was. Consider extra cylinders or conversion cylinders ...

I have a pair of '58 Remingtons, one Uberti, one Pietta.
I like them both, but don't shoot them competitively, so, well, never mind.
However, people swear by the ROA, and if I had to choose one to take into the mountains, that would be the one. My opinion is based on the construction of my pair of OM Vaqueros.

Last edited:
I have an UbertI 1858 Remington that is fantastic, I’ve done nothing to it. In fact it still has the factory nipples, very solid gun and accurate. The last two weekends of shooting it have been spent on my rifle range shooting longer distances with it. I was at 75 yards and am hitting a 12 x 18 steel plate nearly 100%. My load is 30gn by volume fff with lubed felt wad And homemade caps. I have also had the same results with paper cartridge. I love this pistol!
A little over a week ago I ordered an 1860 from Long Hunter. It will have all options offered except the barrel crown. I’m hoping it’s as good as the 58. I’ve never held or shot a colt pattern revolver.

Last you long time ? Ruger Old Army. Accurate out of the box? Ruger Old Army. Easy to maintain? Ruger Old Army. Inexpensive? No, but careful shopping can get you into one at a price assured to protect your investment. Go stainless with the longer barrel and target sights. 20th century design by people who did it right.

It's not a copy of any previous pistol, therefore not historically correct, but the best of great gun designs proven over time using modern materials, machinery, and engineering. When I've disposed of every other M/L pistol I own, my ROA will be the last to go.

Latest posts

Back