• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Me Pick!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Guys I just had a horrible experience with an Uberti made pocket Navy. The gun was a basket case and is on its way back for a refund. I’ve decided to ignore the pocket models for now, did not like the grip at all. Just too small, smaller than I thought. I still want a .36 Colt style gun though. Used to have a .36 and loved the caliber. I’ve narrowed it down to the Pietta made 1851 models, and I’ve got two in mind and I’m having a fit trying to decide between them.

First is there squareback trigger guard Navy with the traditional brass grip frame:
D18585-D7-4-C1-C-4713-BD02-B461-E062-AF72.jpg

I love the old style squareback triggerguard and once the brass patinas oh man I bet it’d look real good.

But then, here is this beauty:
622-D22-E7-A041-4679-B3-E0-41-FEF39-ADF55.jpg

It is Pietta’s model of the London Colt, which has a blued steel triggerguard. It looks a bit unique and very beautiful as well. I’d imagine the steel gripframe would be more resistant to bending and damaged during takedown and stuff.

Cost for both is about the same. So guys I’ve been wringing with this choice for a few days now, and would love to hear yalls opinion on which one YOU’D want to buy and why. Thanks!

-Smokey

I like the 1851. The brass really sets off the hardened frame pattern. Square back trigger guard great for big hams.

The London is rather dull.
IMO

You won't ever damage the brass grip unless you place the butt on the bench and force grossly oversize balls in with the loading lever. Where can you buy a Pietta squareback these days? I don't recall having seen one in years.

I agree with Bang. The brass square back really does show off the color case hardened frame. Plus, there is just something about those square backs. The London is kind of dull, like fog... :cool:

London model 'Dull'? Why, I take umbrage at the insinuation. I thoroughly intend to buy a London model Colt's as soon as I can hit that winning lottery ticket! Beauty is as beauty does, and for a few years in the Empire the Sun Never Sets On, form and function came together in a harmony of deadly balance.

Guys I just had a horrible experience with an Uberti made pocket Navy. The gun was a basket case and is on its way back for a refund. I’ve decided to ignore the pocket models for now, did not like the grip at all. Just too small, smaller than I thought. I still want a .36 Colt style gun though. Used to have a .36 and loved the caliber. I’ve narrowed it down to the Pietta made 1851 models, and I’ve got two in mind and I’m having a fit trying to decide between them.

First is there squareback trigger guard Navy with the traditional brass grip frame:
D18585-D7-4-C1-C-4713-BD02-B461-E062-AF72.jpg

I love the old style squareback triggerguard and once the brass patinas oh man I bet it’d look real good.

But then, here is this beauty:
622-D22-E7-A041-4679-B3-E0-41-FEF39-ADF55.jpg

It is Pietta’s model of the London Colt, which has a blued steel triggerguard. It looks a bit unique and very beautiful as well. I’d imagine the steel gripframe would be more resistant to bending and damaged during takedown and stuff.

Cost for both is about the same. So guys I’ve been wringing with this choice for a few days now, and would love to hear yalls opinion on which one YOU’D want to buy and why. Thanks!

-Smokey

Just buy both. Heck, they're cheap enough where YOU live. :)

My '51 has the round trigger guard and brass grip frame, so kind of in the middle of your choices. I'm not a big fan of the squareback guard, but really like the subdued look of that London model. That's actually the only variation I've seen that I might consider swapping out with mine.

Toss a coin, or put a picture of each on a shotgun pattern board at 20 yards and fire a 12 gauge load of 1 oz. of 7 1/2 shot. The picture with the most holes is the selection. Or just buy both.

Whatever choice you make will give equal performance, so the choice falls to looks.

Tough choice. I like the plainer look of the London model (that's just me) but the brass trigger guard model looks like it has a bigger grip and I have big hands. Can you handle both to see if one is more comfortable? Or, as several have suggested, get both.

I can say I've bought a number of Pietas over the last ten years or so, for myself and as gifts. They have all been good quality and reliable.

Jeff

Same gun all but the grip frame. Get the one you think you want. Change your mind later? Look on gunbroker or evil-bay for a grip frame and change it out.

Or, as others have said, buy both.

I became partial to the Pietta 1861 Sheriff (believe I got the model correct) when shooting SASS. Kind of a scaled down 1860 in 36 caliber with about a 5-1/2 barrel. Not sure if HC (many Piettas are fantasy pieces), but these, at least for me, pointed and shot great. Also own a number 1851 Piettas, just prefer the 61.
upload_2019-11-2_15-50-38.png

I typically loaded cylinders out of the frame, but having shot SASS I collected a bunch of cylinders. Would shoot and entire match without reloading a cylinder. For loading in the frame used a short piece of copper tubing that gives me the same effective length as the levers on an 1851. Also reamed the chambers out to .001”-.002” over groove diameter, and used a lead ball only a few thousands diameter over that, so loading was not that difficult.

The Pietta 1861 has an 8” barrel. This is historically incorrect, both it and the older 1851 Navies had 7 1/2” inchers.

Wouldn’t be a big deal but it sort of is if you have a holster with sewn toe’s plug for a ‘51. It won’t fit the Pietta 8”. Makes finger gun leather awkward and gives the gun a bit of an odd look. As to why the Italians chose that (incorrect) barrel length well... they’re Italians! No rhyme or reason with that lot.

The Pietta 1861 has an 8” barrel. This is historically incorrect, both it and the older 1851 Navies had 7 1/2” inchers.

Wouldn’t be a big deal but it sort of is if you have a holster with sewn toe’s plug for a ‘51. It won’t fit the Pietta 8”. Makes finger gun leather awkward and gives the gun a bit of an odd look. As to why the Italians chose that (incorrect) barrel length well... they’re Italians! No rhyme or reason with that lot.
Haven’t checked Pietta’s current spec, but the Pietta 1861 Navy Sheriffs I own have 5-1/2” barrels, and the 1851s have 7-1/2” barrels. Here is a photograph of few of them.
upload_2019-11-2_19-22-54.jpeg

And just for comparison, Pietta 1860 Army next to their 1861 Navy Sheriff. As I said earlier, the 61 is kind of like a scaled down 60.
upload_2019-11-2_19-25-16.jpeg

Back