• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me ID this old rifle. Manton Lock & B.B. Loar barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I was hoping someone might be able to shed a little light on this rifle and possibly a value it might have to a collector. I'm not wanting to sale it but would like to value it for insurance reasons.

My dad purchased this at an estate sale in Ohio when I was a kid. If memory serves me, he paid $27 for it. The stock was broken as well as the trigger guard and it was missing a hammer. He repaired the stock as best as he could and did some brass/brazing work to repair the trigger guard and bought a period correct original hammer. It's a 43 or 44 caliber with I think a 28 or 30 inch octagon barrel. The barrel alone weighs 9lbs.

The lock says "Manton", (Joseph Manton?) and the barrel was made by Benjamin B. Loar (B.B. Loar) out of Granville and Newark, Ohio. The top flat at the breech end is stamped "B.B. LOAR / GRANDVILLE, O."

The muzzle end is fitted for a false muzzle. Although I don't have a picture of it, the tang at the end of the breach looks as though it might have had a sight similar to that of a Vernier long range peep sight. Although the front sight doesn't necessarily give credence to that. I'm sure this rifle was used as a target rifle in its day because I doubt anyone wanted to carry around an 11 pound rifle.

Thanks for looking
Barrel.JPG
Lock.JPG
Muzzle.JPG
Rifle.JPG

Hi,
The lock is probably a Belgian or English import and not connected with any of the Mantons. Makers often marked their locks "Manton" as a marketing ploy.

dave

Judgin’ by the holes for th false muzzle it was somebody’s bench gun/target rifle.

Yup, ultra-heavy barrel with holes for a false muzzle/loading device, set triggers and space for a decent rear sight - an early chunk gun.

I put up a similar rifle on the ALR site to see if anyone knew anything about it. Not much interest or information about these guns, I guess it was a niche market, The time span when they were made could have been 100 years, hard to pin down.

I have a friend that shoots in bench and cross stick competition, he said the rifle I posted could have been made in 1850 or 1950, no way to tell as it is devoid of any markings.

Here is the rifle I posted, this one weighs 23#.
bench full.JPG

BB Loar was a prominent gun maker in the Granville/Newark Ohio area in the mid to late 1800's. There is a market for his rifles but based on your description don't count on retiring from the sale of this one.

Back