• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help me find a kit like this description

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzzippper

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am looking for a handgun kit with these specs:
.45 caliber
Single shot
Rifled barrel
Skill level 1 (basically retarded)

The only place I've looked, unsuccessfully, has been DGW but I don't know all the vendors.

Deer Creek has this kit. All the other kits are listed as "Sold Out".

Traditions Kentucky Pistol Kit .45 Cal Percussion - G5065 (deercreekproducts.net)

Track of the Wolf has a couple of Lyman kits that approach affordability but these are not 45 caliber.

Lyman Great Plains Rifle & Pistol Kits - Track of the Wolf

I'd also suggest that ordering a couple of the books on building Kentucky pistols from Muzzle Loaders Builders' Supplies would be a great starting point.
There's several pages of listings of books and videos.

Product Listing Books-Videos-Drawings (muzzleloaderbuilderssupply.com)

Track of the Wolf has a good selection of books too.

Pedersoli makes a Kentucky Pistol kit.

Here is a list of the Distributors:

FULL DISTRIBUTORS
IMPORTERS AND DISTRIBUTORS
IFG-NA, LLC DBA ITALIAN FIREARMS GROUP
18250 I-40 West -Amarillo, TX 79124 / PO Box 300 - Bushland, TX 79012 - -
BEAUCHAMP & SON INC., DBA FLINTLOCK'S ETC
160 Rossiter Road - 01254 - RICHMOND, MA.
DIXIE GUN WORKS INC.
Reelfoot Avenue - P.O.Box 130 - 38261 - UNION CITY, TN.
CHERRY'S FINE GUNS
3408 West Wendover Ave. - Suite N - 27407 - GREENSBORO, NC.
TAYLOR'S AND COMPANY, INC.
304 Lenoir Drive - 22603 - WINCHESTER, VA.

Traditions Kentucky Pistol Kit .45 Cal Percussion - G5065 (deercreekproducts.net)

Track of the Wolf has a couple of Lyman kits that approach affordability but these are not 45 caliber.

I'd also suggest that ordering a couple of the books on building Kentucky pistols from Muzzle Loaders Builders' Supplies would be a great starting point.

Thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed reply. The Muzzle Loaders Builders site is overwhelming!

I am looking for a handgun kit with these specs:
.45 caliber
Single shot
Rifled barrel
Skill level 1 (basically retarded)

The only place I've looked, unsuccessfully, has been DGW but I don't know all the vendors.
From what I've found all the available level 1 kits for pistols are made by Pendersoli and Traditions. However I don't know if Traditions makes one in .45 caliber but Pendersoli does and the .45 Kentucky kit is on sale now at Dixie Gun Works for $295 in percussion, $325 for a flintlock.

From what I've found all the available level 1 kits for pistols are made by Pendersoli and Traditions. However I don't know if Traditions makes one in .45 caliber but Pendersoli does and the .45 Kentucky kit is on sale now at Dixie Gun Works for $295 in percussion, $325 for a flintlock.
Sorry, I just noticed the flintlock version is unavailable.

Button rifled .008 deep 1 in 18" twist 12 lands and 12 grooves.

Dixie No. PH 0330

Thanks, Grenadier, for suggesting Track of the Wolf. I slipped over and grabbed one of the Lyman pistol kits in .54 as a companion to my Great Plains rifle in .54. I currently have a CVA 50 cal Mountain Pistol (as a companion to a TC Hawken in .50) but have never been fond of the hardwood stock or the way it took a walnut stain; it's a bit cheesy, to say the least, and the 'basketball court' shine looks good to admirers at the range, but I surely want to buff that out with a good drubbing by steel wool. At least the Lyman has a walnut stock. The CVA shoots well and has a nice 40 year old patina, but maybe one day I'll figure out a way to fix that stock color.
Thanks and Cheers,

I will take you up on that!
Just keep in mind Duelist and I modified our builds, him more so than me but you don't have to. The most work involved will be rasping/filing and sanding the stock plus filing and sanding the brass ramrod pipes. The potentially most difficult will be fitting the sights, I found a triangular needle file was indispensable in this. Otherwise everything is fitted, all the holes drilled and the kit comes pre-assembled (except for the sights). Take it apart then go to work on it.
I kept this picture in front of me every time I worked on mine.

37S.310.jpg

Here's my finished one.

Finished Kentucky Pistol Kit.jpg

Back