• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help me decide.... fast twist Pedersoli, White Muzzleloader Sporter or.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozz

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a couple of percussion rifles. A .36 Thompson I bought and a .50 CVA 1/66 twist that was given to me by a friend. Both shoot well. But I'm looking for a fast twist rifle that will better handle bullets, conicals and/or Minie Balls. I'd like to do some longer range shooting. I feel like my limit on game with the CVA is 75 yards.

For a production rifle, I like the Pedersoli Traditional Hunter Hawken. I like that it comes standard with an aperture sight and sling swivels. 1/24 twist. And the price is right at $825. My son bought a Pedersoli Jäger that is a fine rifle. Pedersoli Hawken Hunter

The White Sporter I like a lot too. The price of admission is a good bit more but I do like the stock of the white rifle more. He also states that the lock is of much higher quality and accuracy is outstanding. Lubed slip fit or sabots. I would have to have him add a rear aperture. Not a target sight but something similar to the Pedersoli. White Custom

Is there anything else out there from a different manufacturer? My plan it to eventually scope the rifle with something like this> Montana Vintage Arms Scopes because I became enamored with the scoped Hawken rifles. Read this article and I was hooked. Pedersoli-Traditional-Hawkens

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the pedersoli Missouri River Hawken. It has a snail instead of a bolster. For shooting big lead bullets stay away from guns with bolsters.

For a production rifle, I like the Pedersoli Traditional Hunter Hawken. I like that it comes standard with an aperture sight and sling swivels. 1/24 twist. And the price is right at $825. My son bought a Pedersoli Jäger that is a fine rifle. Pedersoli Hawken Hunter

The White Sporter I like a lot too. The price of admission is a good bit more but I do like the stock of the white rifle more. He also states that the lock is of much higher quality and accuracy is outstanding. Lubed slip fit or sabots. I would have to have him add a rear aperture. Not a target sight but something similar to the Pedersoli. White Custom

Is there anything else out there from a different manufacturer? My plan it to eventually scope the rifle with something like this> Montana Vintage Arms Scopes because I became enamored with the scoped Hawken rifles. Read this article and I was hooked. Pedersoli-Traditional-Hawkens

I'd look at a Pedersoli Whitworth, as well as the White Custom, instead of the Pedersoli Hawken Hunter. The White already has a rear mounted Vernier rear sight, and if you did the same with the Whitworth, you have the longest sight plane of the three.

LD

Pedersoli makes top barrels. There are parts and support for Pedersoli rifles.
Many match champions in Europe shoot Pedersolis. They make a gain twist
Rem NMA(1858) that is a top match shooter. Pricey though.

I feel like my limit on game with the CVA is 75 yards.

The limit is only because of your ability with the sights. I've killed mule deer at 120 yards with a .50 (1/66" twist). It never took a step after being hit.

If a fast twist barrel has similar sights to the CVA, you will have the same limitations.

I have a couple of percussion rifles. A .36 Thompson I bought and a .50 CVA 1/66 twist that was given to me by a friend. Both shoot well. But I'm looking for a fast twist rifle that will better handle bullets, conicals and/or Minie Balls. I'd like to do some longer range shooting. I feel like my limit on game with the CVA is 75 yards.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Paul
I had a Pedersoli Missouri River Hawken. The fast twist barrel will shoot conicals wonderfully. I turned mine into a long range rifle complete with target sights. I used paper patched bullets weighing 550 grains. Recoil was heavy and the curved butt plate did not suit me for target shooting. But for a hunting rifle it balances well and will digest all type of conicals and all type of propellant except smkless or course. Ball shooting was 50 grains of regular FFFG.

The key to the success is the 1/24 twist barrel. Way better than a 1/28. Go for it.

So, what's the difference between a snail and a bolster?

Yes I had drum and bolster mixed up.

The first one is a snail. The second one is a drum.
Drum can and do blow out. The bigger the bullet and powder charge the higher the pressure. I won't own a rifle with a drum

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210821-200555_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210821-200555_Chrome.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20210821-200516_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210821-200516_Chrome.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 30
If the drum is not properly set it’s unsafe to shoot period.
If properly set it will not be as strong as a snail in the abstract but in real shooting nothing in North America require a charge so big it endangers a drum.

I own both the Whitworth and a Volunteer from Parker Hale. The Volunteer with the same load kicks harder probably with the lesser mass of the rifle than the Wjtworth does. The Volunteer I have shoots a patched rd ball very well out to 100 yds were as the Whitworth is a coniocal or Paper patch only gun.

If the drum is not properly set it’s unsafe to shoot period.
If properly set it will not be as strong as a snail in the abstract but in real shooting nothing in North America require a charge so big it endangers a drum.

That simply isn't true. The drum threads into the barrel. With enough shooting it will erode no if's and's or but's. I have seen way too many of them blown out. In fact I personally had a CVA blow one out. I don't know of one historical long range rifle with a drum. The drum is used because it's easier and cheaper way to build. It is also inferior.

Back