• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help me choose a smoothbore at auction please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
These are coming up at auction soon and I cant choose what to bid on. What are your thoughts?
Spanish 15g miquelet 383463_0.jpg
English percussion 6bore383617_0.jpg
English 10g
384064_0.jpg
Or 30 bore trade gun?384050_0.jpg

All usable as far as i can tell

All of them! Now being a realist, my first choice would also be the 10 gauge flint, followed by the 30 bore trade gun.

Guns are much like vehicles. Do you want the pickup, sports car or sedan? Which do I want most, or which would I use most and down the road what will be worth more.

English 10 gauge flint. What the heck is a 30 bore? That sounds like a lot of diameter. If those are antiques, even if they are "usable", I don't think I would shoot them.

The miquelet is an interesting piece for sure. As i have and use a Belgian percussion in 14g I also have all the bits and bobs. Also the Spanish where reknown for the best barrels.
The English flinters are supposedly the best locks and this one is expected to sell at twice the price of the others as it has a few trimmings. It also has the look and lines we are all used to and is dated 1770. The year Captain Cook landed in Australia.

As far as shooting antiques. Who never uses second hand guns?
Yes i may blow one up proofing it but havent yet. I feel that using an original is the ultimate and will do so if possible. If you watch and wait they can be comparable to repros.

I agree, Indian. No issues using originals, they like being woken up. They can surprise you by how well they will shoot. did you put a bid on, as I think the auction was last weekend.

definately the 10g flinter, but buy them all. even if you sell some off at a later date they are better value than money in the bank

The Purdey target rifle is a definite, if I had the spondulicks ! I did look at a couple of the cheap sliders, the one with the frozen lock might be a good buy.

I would pick the one that can be shot! and is easy on my purse.

If the desire for them is pretty equal in your mind bid on the first one up. If you get outbid bid on the second one. And so on until you either get one or watch them all go to someone with deeper pockets.

Back