• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help me choose a smoothbore at auction please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe there still making large Siler flintlocks just of steel not silver but they spark better made of steel, The original was improuved by Jim Chambers but I expect they both interchange well enough if the side nails on a used s/ h one likely wont be the same. ( Side nails some call' bolts' ) Lots of luck.
Rudyard

Well I have placed a bid on the Escopata.
Fingers crossed.
Just for variety I put a bid on this 1840 PERCUSSION RIFLED MUSKET: 69 Cal as well.

383478_0.jpg

Its expected to go for about $400.

please excuse my ignorance, but what is a SCRUB GUN? is it the same as a BEATER GUN?

Sorry Toot.
Australian Jargon I guess.
I believe it is the same.

Scrub is an Australian term broadly used to refer to the less hospitable regions. So a scrub basher or paddock basher is a vehicle that you take cross country driving.
So a scrub gun is for use in thick brush and likely to get a bit of punishment. NOT where you take your new custom build.
A Scrub Bull or Micky Bull is a wild or feral bull (Clean skin. No brand).
So we have scrub fires, Scrub Pythons, scrub turkeys, scrub robins and so on.

NOT to be confused with the term "Scrub" or "Scrubber" as an insult or derogatory term aimed at females.

Musket would seem cheap at $400 but lots of luck but though its down on condition it dosn't make it disposable . Nice comprehensive definition of 'scrub' Ime sure Toot will appreciate it !
Regards Rudyard

Musket would seem cheap at $400 but lots of luck but though its down on condition it dosn't make it disposable . Nice comprehensive definition of 'scrub' Ime sure Toot will appreciate it !
Regards Rudyard
Thanks. It was harder than I thought it would be.

Don't worry for the musket Rudyard.
As you say it does seem cheap and it will not be hard for me to be outbid. These Auction price guides are misleading and I suspect that prices will either be very high or very low.
If my bid prevails then the musket won't be disposed of. It will be cleaned an oiled and made to feel welcome. I will sit with the Springfield and Enfield in the safe. Hope they get along! French, English and American haven't always done so.
:ghostly:
However I will use it and in all likelihood add to the scratches it already has.

If I prevail with the Escopata then I will also give it a good clean and take it out occassionally after Clays and other pesky critters. I am really looking forward to studying the action and looking at the workmanship on this one. I am sure it will be very interesting and keep me entertained for hours.

Well that's fair enough lets see if you get it . The musket looks interesting ' rifled up' later no doubt. Perhaps has a Tige or the Deviene breech I have a Danish/ Norwegian one they took it so thin they filed the B net stud off so's not to stress it !. It is mint just dumped on US surplus market it had the 'Tige' big spike so it can force the bullet bigger to seal .The rod being a heavy iron affair .Not that I carry any such anywhere much.
Cheers Rudyard

Like to see a piccy of that. Awesome find Rudyard.

Having a look at the web this musket does not have the back action lock that seems to be the 1840 pattern.
I think it may be a converted 1822. Has the right lines but is shorter by 6".

Like to see a piccy of that. Awesome find Rudyard.

Having a look at the web this musket does not have the back action lock that seems to be the 1840 pattern.
I think it may be a converted 1822. Has the right lines but is shorter by 6".
OK I may post it to you via your E I'me not too adept with sending pics but you could show it if you care too. There are All sorts of variations on a popular theme . Mostly looking French who had umpteen variants looking at the lock could be converted from original flint, lots of Nations up dated their muskets progressivly flint smooth to cap smooth then rifled up then converted to some sort of stop gap breach loader, normal & natural if you think about it . I have Jean Boudreir ? Cahais ?( note books) all in French but well illustrated with line drawings if you get it I will look it all up .
Regards Rudyard

OK I may post it to you via your E I'me not too adept with sending pics but you could show it if you care too. There are All sorts of variations on a popular theme . Mostly looking French who had umpteen variants looking at the lock could be converted from original flint, lots of Nations up dated their muskets progressivly flint smooth to cap smooth then rifled up then converted to some sort of stop gap breach loader, normal & natural if you think about it . I have Jean Boudreir ? Cahais ?( note books) all in French but well illustrated with line drawings if you get it I will look it all up .
Regards Rudyard
No worries Mate.
You have my email and I am looking forward to seeing it.

Read somewhere that some Chalevilles's had a Snider do over. Wonder what the cartridge was.

Thank you for the offer to look it all up. Appreciated.

Seems like asking someone to pick what smooth bore for you to buy, would be akin to asking someone to pick out a wife for you.

Geez, I am not that brave.

Seems like asking someone to pick what smooth bore for you to buy, would be akin to asking someone to pick out a wife for you.

Geez, I am not that brave.
Ha Ha
If I was a polygamist I might have some insight there. I do have more than 1 gun.
Thankfully my guns only speak when spoken to and don't mind when I take the others out. 😁
Also the gun doesn't also need to choose me.

On second thought, arranged marriages are still the norm in many countries. Must have something going for it. not my cup of tea though.

Last edited:
No worries Mate.
You have my email and I am looking forward to seeing it.

Read somewhere that some Chalevilles's had a Snider do over. Wonder what the cartridge was.

Thank you for the offer to look it all up. Appreciated.
Snider like conversion was the Tabiteir (Snuff box) big 16 bore rim fire I believe others like Raedwald know that stuff backwards but I can look it up .However it became a breech loader & off topic ish

Snider like conversion was the Tabiteir (Snuff box) big 16 bore rim fire I believe others like Raedwald know that stuff backwards but I can look it up .However it became a breech loader & off topic ish

Sorry Toot.
Australian Jargon I guess.
I believe it is the same.

Scrub is an Australian term broadly used to refer to the less hospitable regions. So a scrub basher or paddock basher is a vehicle that you take cross country driving.
So a scrub gun is for use in thick brush and likely to get a bit of punishment. NOT where you take your new custom build.
A Scrub Bull or Micky Bull is a wild or feral bull (Clean skin. No brand).
So we have scrub fires, Scrub Pythons, scrub turkeys, scrub robins and so on.

NOT to be confused with the term "Scrub" or "Scrubber" as an insult or derogatory term aimed at females.
thanks' for the reply. over here if a prize cow has a calf from a nondescript, range beef bull, a non wanted calf / heifer from the encounter is called A SCRUB CALF, / heifer, same thing .

Back