• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help me choose a smoothbore at auction please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont know but tend to think likely Indian.
I emailed the owner. He claims most are actually hand made there in Florida but a few are of Indian make. He claims the Indian ones are taken apart, parts hardened and or replaced and states they have the same lifetime guarantee as the hand made ones.
He has some really nice pieces.

The barrel issue might make that one a better buy. Send it to Mr. Hoyt for relining; you might get the best combination, as a shooter.

These are coming up at auction soon and I cant choose what to bid on. What are your thoughts?

All usable as far as i can tell
My thoughts may not be in tuned with your likes. Since the gun/guns are for you:
Do you want something different? miquelet. Do you want a hand cannon, go for the 6 bore.
If you want something to shoot and good looking, go for the 10 gauge, that is my choice.
Flintlocklar 🇺🇸

If it were my choice, my first thought would be : Which one would I want to shoot? and the answer would be the 10 gauge flintlock.. To me, the others would just be wall hangers.

I could use any.
The miqulet is very interesting and in good nick.
I can see the 6 bore being used on pesky flocks and maybe hogs (not like i havent got pig guns but there are 6 bores and 6 boars!) and maybe a buffalo. I dont have a buffalo gun.
The English is a nice looking item but has a "fair" barrel and is more than twice the price of the others.
The trade gun is basically a .54 smoothbore. It is quirky. Proba ly the one i am leat likely to go for but price is a factor and it is there.

Not one appear to be' Indian' anything . Some crossed wires some where ?. The supposed ten bore might just be a 12 with relief boreing at the muzzle . .Could be I'me a purist but original pieces are not disposable like replica ones are, We have them in trust . Not to say you cant use them occasionaly but their deserving of retirement rather than suiting the owners whims. As guns go Ide plump for the ten bore closley followed by the Escopeta . The finest replica is just that, shoot it to death its made for that, its demise is its glory . We will I hope be remembered for the new guns we made the good the bad & the plum ugly ! we are part of history Ime nearly antigue all ready !.
Regards Rudyard

Not one appear to be' Indian' anything . Some crossed wires some where ?. The supposed ten bore might just be a 12 with relief boreing at the muzzle . .Could be I'me a purist but original pieces are not disposable like replica ones are, We have them in trust . Not to say you cant use them occasionaly but their deserving of retirement rather than suiting the owners whims. As guns go Ide plump for the ten bore closley followed by the Escopeta . The finest replica is just that, shoot it to death its made for that, its demise is its glory . We will I hope be remembered for the new guns we made the good the bad & the plum ugly ! we are part of history Ime nearly antigue all ready !.
Regards Rudyard
i agree with Rudyard the bore sizes and the makers are totally wrong I cannot see any been Indian made .My advice is if the bores are good and depends what you want to use it for go for that one ,it surprises me by some of the answers given in this thread, antique knowledge is poor .
Feltwad

I think you will find the comments regarding Indian refer to the link posted that goes to the Pirate shop or something.

Yes my knowledge of antiques is poor. This I accept and am working at improving. Hopefully through my own research and feedback from more knowledgeable members my knowledge may approach your own.

I divide originals into 3 lots. The really special that should be preserved and never used or allowed to perish. The ones that cannot be used and have already perished enough to handle and hang on the wall for posperity. Or maybe rescucitate like the jaeger elsewhere on this forum.
Then there is the middle ones. Not particularly rare or special. Certainly been used but cared for and can continue to be used and cared for. These i like.

I only have 1 gun that I would not use and that is an old pepperbox. Anything else I procure may not get used but must be useable. This new possible addition is no different.

I thank you all for your advice. It gives me much to ponder.

Last edited:
Back