• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WANTED Help making Buckskin sweatshirt made from my tanned deer hides

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseHunter92

A flintlock and 2 German short haired pointers
Reaction score
Hello friends, I am in search of a highly skilled craftsmen/or woman. Skilled in working with hides. I have 6 full size deer hides that are already tanned and supple soft, ready to go. I am very fond of a hoodie or sweatshirt made from my deer hides. I am just not experienced enough to make it myself and fear of wasting too much precious material. I would also be interested in a hunting jacket if possible. My hides are hole free and no thin spots. The material is truly ready to cut and work with. I will provide photos of the design I wish to copy of the hoodie. I am open to designs on the hunting jacket. THESE ARE NOT MY PHOTOS. Only using them as an example.
In advance, thank you very much all. If you need photos I can send them of all of the hides. And as size reference I am 6’4” and 230 lbs. athletic build. So an xl with long torso and long arms would be perfect. And any tasteful pockets would be sweet. I use pockets quite often on my jackets.

Attachments

• 6A3390D0-CCC4-4760-8EE4-2805BBD01641.png
    6A3390D0-CCC4-4760-8EE4-2805BBD01641.png
    366.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 22B4F2AD-FC61-4B88-BA18-9B131FAB8AF0.png
    22B4F2AD-FC61-4B88-BA18-9B131FAB8AF0.png
    360.3 KB · Views: 64
  • F5C90309-CBB9-406E-884F-F15D91EC1D9D.png
    F5C90309-CBB9-406E-884F-F15D91EC1D9D.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 53
I am only offering this up since you got no response: I tanned a deer hide from my FIL's deer last fall and tried to make a pair of gloves from it. It was going nowhere! I checked with some local leather craftsmen with no luck and finally found the Uber Leather Company in Owatanna MN. They made me two pair of beautiful leather gloves from the hide. They are NOT original period etc, but I was so grateful to find a company to turn my deerhide into something I really appreciate. I do not know if they do the kind of work you are looking for but they might be worth a phone call!

Glove.jpg

I hope they can help you. This is a pic of part of the tanned hide that I sent them with a pair of the gloves that they made for me. As I said, not anything resembling historic ware - just some good gloves to remind me of a great hunt. Good luck! BR

Rip apart your hoodie and use it as a pattern, allow half to 3/4 of an inch for seam,
Fold a hem and sew, then ladder or baseball stitch your pieces together
Ladder stitch goes in to the fold out and in to the other side to form little ladder steps that you pull tight every few stitches.
Baseball stitch goes each side from the top and back underneath between the pieces. Both let you pull thick material together and flat.
Ladder and base ball on canvas market wallet I’m making today
3C8FCB31-92C2-494A-8CB4-F1E7E13F47CB.jpeg
A77AF218-DA33-4F22-A7CC-FA38B77FF8A8.jpeg
4A5BF745-B9EF-443D-8B6E-9E2EC624D93D.jpeg
AA9EC21C-B48D-42A9-BAB7-15FBF1D95D42.jpeg

Last edited:
Rip apart your hoodie and use it as a pattern, allow half to 3/4 of an inch for seam,
Fold a hem and sew, then ladder or baseball stitch your pieces together
Ladder stitch goes in to the fold out and in to the other side to form little ladder steps that you pull tight every few stitches.
Baseball stitch goes each side from the top and back underneath between the pieces. Both let you pull thick material together and flat.
Ladder and base ball on canvas market wallet I’m making todayView attachment 124715View attachment 124716View attachment 124717View attachment 124718
Thank you

View attachment 124682

I hope they can help you. This is a pic of part of the tanned hide that I sent them with a pair of the gloves that they made for me. As I said, not anything resembling historic ware - just some good gloves to remind me of a great hunt. Good luck! BR
I gave them a call and left a voicemail.

So here’s the deal stop having fear of things you don’t know how to do ask for videos on how to sew leather on this forum get yourself go to a shop and ask for leather shears or look them up online on your phone and start cutting you could probably with enough take your time you can get a carpet knife as a sharp blade crawl your pattern make a pattern and do it start with something simple make a pair of leather mittens everything you learn in making that mitten you can apply to your sweatshirt go to the library in a book on how to sew leather I wish you the best

I gave them a call and left a voicemail.
So here’s the deal stop having fear of things you don’t know how to do ask for videos on how to sew leather on this forum get yourself go to a shop and ask for leather shears or look them up online on your phone and start cutting you could probably with enough take your time you can get a carpet knife as a sharp blade crawl your pattern make a pattern and do it start with something simple make a pair of leather mittens everything you learn in making that mitten you can apply to your sweatshirt go to the library in a book on how to sew leather I wish you the best
that’s funny that you added this because that’s exactly what I’ve started doing. Ripped apart an old sweatshirt and using it as a template

I’ve got a pullover made out of an old army blanket that looks exactly like your pattern minus the hood. I told a local seamstress what I was looking for and she told me to leave blanket and she made it in less than a week. That was thirty-five years ago and I still wear it during cold weather. I’ll walk upstairs and take a picture of it if you would like.

Where you located? I got friends all over that do Stone Age Brain Tan Buckskin. Using the leather itself or real sinew to sew it. Some of these folks make museum pieces.

Look into attending one of the primitive skills gatherings. Link here Directory of Primitive Skills Gatherings and Knap-Ins of North America
Check out Rabbitstick in Idaho, I'm always there.

Most of these people teach rather than make commission pieces but you can try these folks...

This gal who was on the TV Alone is excellent teaching how to make high quality buckskin clothes, she does online classes. Buckskin Revolution Homepage

Home - Walker's Braintan Leather & Bushcraft I think Derrick only sells buckskin

http://www.wilderbabe.com/Welcome.html
These folks (Michael & Kelsi) make incredible stuff but a custom braintan hoody ain't gonna be cheap.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/wildpathwaybuckskin/
Goodluck, hope this helps.

Where you located? I got friends all over that do Stone Age Brain Tan Buckskin. Using the leather itself or real sinew to sew it. Some of these folks make museum pieces.

Look into attending one of the primitive skills gatherings. Link here Directory of Primitive Skills Gatherings and Knap-Ins of North America
Check out Rabbitstick in Idaho, I'm always there.

Most of these people teach rather than make commission pieces but you can try these folks...

This gal who was on the TV Alone is excellent teaching how to make high quality buckskin clothes, she does online classes. Buckskin Revolution Homepage

Home - Walker's Braintan Leather & Bushcraft I think Derrick only sells buckskin

http://www.wilderbabe.com/Welcome.html
These folks (Michael & Kelsi) make incredible stuff but a custom braintan hoody ain't gonna be cheap.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/wildpathwaybuckskin/
Goodluck, hope this helps.
Thank you

Back