• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help IDing this old musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I'm with you on this! That is the odd thing on this one. I can see no shrink on this stock. Also, where the stock is scratched the wood under is much paler. As if stained, and it was varnished at some point. The cock and frizzen do not glide, they drag just like some early repros I have had.
When I first saw/handled it, I was sure it was a repro.
T
Hats why I said it in the very first post here.

It looks like proper parts, the lock is Germanic, with an unbridled pan, which would be correct for the first 25 years of the 18th century at least. It is a rounded lock plate, which is a bit different, and I don't think any of the repro Germanic style locks were or are produced with the rounded plate. It is also all iron/steel, which is also good with a Germanic gun. So if it is a repro, it was done with a lot of thought as to what was correct..., it might be an expensive copy of an original...or it may actually be a museum quality artifact.

The "problem" that I see is the metal is in really good condition for a three-century aged piece, and the wood is as well, BUT that doesn't mean it couldn't have been kept in that good condition.

LD

Thank you Loyalist Dave,
So if it is German made, is this a military piece? Civilian market for hunting, or maybe export or trade?
Could it be that this is mostly original parts fitted to a more modern stock? Often that will involve using original parts that have been cleaned or polished. I have done this a few times with early 19th century US military flintlock conversions, but have never seen it done on something so old. Normally, the parts all together just don't make it worth the build.
Thanks again.

It appears to be well constructed. I don't know anything about this particular piece...but...just based upon pics...I would guess that it is an original that has been often cleaned and maybe the wood refinished at some point. European collectors and some on this side of the pond...like their guns "National Armory Bright".

I am thinking the same also.
If this is an original my wallet is not this big!
I was hoping to snag it cheap and use for living history.
Oh well, thanks for the input all.

Back