• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help Identifying Wood type

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What doe the unfinished wood look like under the barrel or butt?
Can't tell as they went nuts with the brown acraglass and i left it.

Sorry if a repeat. I should add that the stock alone was found at show in mid 80's (?) and no explanation of where the lock and barrel and everything else went. Here's some assembled pics. It fits me so amazingly well i am going to make it my sole "hawken" specimen and sell the GPR, CVA, TC's and maybe even the "Sgt York Hatfield CVA Frankencapper". I can list the components I used to complete it if you want

Attachments

• 20221220_124318.jpg
    20221220_124318.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221220_124408.jpg
    20221220_124408.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you're turning spalted wood of any kind, wear a respirator, That mold in there is active and can cause respiratory issues.

P.S.; My vote is for red maple too.

Did you work with the wood i.e. inlet parts to it? It looks like maple but if you worked the wood and it splinters easily it could be walnut. the two woods react differently to tools.

That's such a nice looking rifle maybe you should call it your "Soul Hawkin".
There are some rifles (and shotguns) that you instantly know are right for you. Whether its the drop at heel, LOP or balance point or cast off or on you just know. Hardware counts as well. I knew this immediately after fitting the .54 JB Mtn Rifle barrel it worked for me as an off hand shooter. The other barrel ( another NOS JB MR spare), Not so much due to slight additional weight changing point of balance. Quality hardware is the frosting on the cake. The Griffth plug, tang and lock, Cherry Corners triggers and guard complete the package. Factory rifles are fine but many find they always need that something extra.

My recently completed hawken caused a bit of discussion due to the color and figure in the stock. When working with it I thought it was highly figured walnut. Others have suggested its maple or something else. Any experts here as to what it is? PIcs are after removing acraglas finish and then with truoil.
Looks alot like Tiger Maple

Latest posts

Back