Help identifying this pistol.

Discussion in 'Firearm Identification' started by Clay Henry, May 10, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 10, 2019 #1

Clay Henry

Clay Henry

Clay Henry

Pilgrim

This pistol was originally from England. On the top of the barrel it is stamped “London”.
    Hex Damascus barrel.
    Side “ Richardson & Co”

Attached Files:

2. May 10, 2019 #2

cositrike

cositrike

cositrike

40 Cal.

I’m just guessing, but I think it’s an English pistol by Richardson and Co. . have you any pictures of the proof marks on the barrel? Is it rifled or smooth bore?

3. May 11, 2019 #3

dave_person

dave_person

dave_person

54 Cal.

Hi,
    We really need closer photos of the breech, barrel and lock. It is clearly a 19th century gun made as a percussion pistol perhaps as late as the 1850s. There are no Richardson's listed for London but several in that time frame for other towns in England and Ireland. I find no listing for Richardson and Co. The firm might simply be an importer or retailer and not the actual maker. The "London" name on the barrel means nothing because that was often added as a ruse to increase sales. It may be one of a pair and if it has a wide rear sight, it might be made for dueling or target shooting. It looks to be a high quality pistol regardless of the maker complete with safety bolted lock. If you remove the barrel, there should be proof marks on the bottom and possible a makers mark.

dave