• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help Identifying Percussion Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I point you to D. Egg Percussion Travelling Pistol, the pictures are rather interesting. Also to quote " This pistol was probably built at the very end of his career or by his son John who traded as Durs Egg (executor) at 1 pall mall 1832-1837. Regardless, this piece is rather plain but is an example of the later work of Durs Egg."

I agree 100%.

View attachment 70607

Here's another, known D EGG -

View attachment 70610
Absolutely remarkable. I believe y'all have solved my riddle. The markings on the lockplate and on the top flat of the barrel of my pistol match this known D. Egg pistol exactly. Also, the lockplate screw layout matches exactly. It definitely appears to be a "D.EGG" piece. I really appreciate you guys who know your stuff weighing in...

Here is another from the same period. All silver mounted. No markings other than LONDON stamped on top of the barrel. But it follows a similar pattern for these English made pistols during this period. Looks like there was a not so professional period repair made to the under rib. It's a .41 caliber, rifled, and shoots a .395 ball and with a thin patch. And fairly accurate out to 15 yards. A neat feature is a silver cap box in the but to hold percussion caps. A curiosity is that the lock was made without a half-cock notch on the tumbler. Although I've seen one or two others like that. It has a strong mainspring with a short hammer throw.

Rick
001 (Medium).JPG
002 (Medium).JPG
003 (Medium).JPG
011 (Medium).JPG
016 (Medium).JPG

Here is another from the same period. All silver mounted. No markings other than LONDON stamped on top of the barrel. But it follows a similar pattern for these English made pistols during this period. Looks like there was a not so professional period repair made to the under rib. It's a .41 caliber, rifled, and shoots a .395 ball and with a thin patch. And fairly accurate out to 15 yards. A neat feature is a silver cap box in the but to hold percussion caps. A curiosity is that the lock was made without a half-cock notch on the tumbler. Although I've seen one or two others like that. It has a strong mainspring with a short hammer throw.

RickView attachment 70696View attachment 70697View attachment 70698View attachment 70699View attachment 70700
Beautiful piece. These old firearms are fascinating.

Current English proof marks of their time - seems to be an ordinary "coat pistol" of it's days .
I'm quite sceptical for it to be a D.Egg gun , since the backlock appeares only after the 1850s , when he'd been gone long ago .

Sorry - nothing really rare here in the Old World , but still worth for being preserved . The price You payed was more than reasnonable : ENJOY AND SHOOT IT !

Even here in Europe , similar pistols are handled/traded for about 400 Euros , so You got a bargain .

This pistol, by Weston of Lewes, dates from 1832 - ' This is a finely made weapon and may have been intended for target or duelling. The barrel is very heavy in comparison with the rest of the pistol but the balance is good. It is an early example of the sidelock percussion type which appeared during the early 1830s. The dates for Weston of Lewes are 1800–1832.'

1617026295814.png

Current English proof marks of their time - seems to be an ordinary "coat pistol" of it's days .
I'm quite sceptical for it to be a D.Egg gun , since the backlock appeares only after the 1850s , when he'd been gone long ago .

Sorry - nothing really rare here in the Old World , but still worth for being preserved . The price You payed was more than reasnonable : ENJOY AND SHOOT IT !

Even here in Europe , similar pistols are handled/traded for about 400 Euros , so You got a bargain .
Thanks. I'm not too familiar with this type pistols, but I thought it was surely worth $250. Regarding your comment about the back action lock not being contemporary with D. Egg's life and career: This example and one other of known D. Egg pistols were posted on here. They both have back action locks and otherwise are identical in markings and configuration to my pistol. Also, one of the references states that Durs Egg's son continued the business under his dad's name until at least 1837. What do you think?

1617208199066.png
1617208199066.png

Back