• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Identifying Percussion Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan01.wilson

32 Cal
Reaction score
20210317_091745.jpg
20210317_091103.jpg
20210317_091955.jpg

Please help me identify this pistol. It was represented simply as "1830 pistol converted from flintlock to percussion".
▪︎6-15/16" octagon barrel. 0.658" bore.
▪︎stirrup rammer.
▪︎checkered walnut stock. no butt cap or straps
▪︎faint "London" on top of barrel.
▪︎#11 percussion cap fits nipple.
▪︎fully functional.
▪︎maker name on lockplate too faint to read.

Thanks very much.

It's nice, but I bet it's weight in donuts that it was never any kind of a flintlock - the lock on it now dates from around the 1840's - the style that was new then - and the shape of the wood at the front of the lockplate looks original - no room for a flintlock, uh, lock, pan and frizzen. Also, the captive ramrod is more often than not a feature of a pistol carried by a horseman. The name on the lockplate is most likely the name of the maker of the lockplate - gunmakers' names are more usually found on the top flat of the barrel.

The lack of a skull-bashing grip plate and lanyard ring makes it likely to have been a large-calibre travelling pistol suitable for a horsed gentleman, rather than a martial pistol like that issue to a lancer or dragoon of the day.

It's a nice-looking piece, and is most probably English, but without taking it down to see the proof marks, we'll never know.

Is it a decent price? Like $350 - 500? If so, just nod.

Last edited:
It's nice, but I bet it's weight in donuts that it was never any kind of a flintlock - the lock on it now dates from around the 1840's - the style that was new then - and the shape of the wood at the front of the lockplate looks original - no room for a flintlock, uh, lock, pan and frizzen. Also, the captive ramrod is more often than not a feature of a pistol carried by a horseman. The name on the lockplate is most likely the name of the maker of the lockplate - gunmakers' names are more usually found on the top flat of the barrel.

The lack of a skull-bashing grip plate and lanyard ring makes it likely to have been a large-calibre travelling pistol suitable for a horsed gentleman, rather than a martial pistol like that issue to a lancer or dragoon of the day.

It's a nice-looking piece, and is most probably English, but without taking it down to see the proof marks, we'll never know.

I paid $250. I have thoroughly enjoyed researching it.

I was hoping I hadn't paid too much. They also had a cased pair of Wilson dueling pistols, very fine, which I bid up to $2500 or so. I wasn't going to let somebody steal them. Somebody knew what they were worth. I think they went for $5000 or so.

You did well. Google English pistol makers.
Nit Wit
I did. It most resembles a Richard Fenton (London) piece, but it also looks like a Nock pistol and W. Rigby of Dublin Ireland. There's one screw that will not budge. Maybe I can take the trigger guard off and get some PB Blaster in there. I would really love to know the maker.

and it is a back action lock. not the kind used on flintlock's.

back action flint lock's were used to make them on the STOGERS, CONGO GUNS. but were never used in real time / back in the day.

I did. It most resembles a Richard Fenton (London) piece, but it also looks like a Nock pistol and W. Rigby of Dublin Ireland. There's one screw that will not budge. Maybe I can take the trigger guard off and get some PB Blaster in there. I would really love to know the maker.
This Rigby pistol from Dublin, Ireland is the only one where the screws in the lockplate are spaced exactly like on my pistol. But my barrel is inscribed "London" ?? I think Rigby had a presence in London, but it was later, maybe 1860s.
1616086646369.png

View attachment 69218View attachment 69219View attachment 69220
Please help me identify this pistol. It was represented simply as "1830 pistol converted from flintlock to percussion".
▪︎6-15/16" octagon barrel. 0.658" bore.
▪︎stirrup rammer.
▪︎checkered walnut stock. no butt cap or straps
▪︎faint "London" on top of barrel.
▪︎#11 percussion cap fits nipple.
▪︎fully functional.
▪︎maker name on lockplate too faint to read.

Thanks very much.
20210326_085324.jpg

I was able to get the stock off. Can anyone identify these proof marks? I attached two pictures of the same thing, with different lighting.

Thanks very much for your shared expertise.

Attachments

• 20210326_085309.jpg
    20210326_085309.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 79
Back