• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help identifying maker/date of 1858 NMA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a very similar Euroarms (the DGG is under the lever arm). The Gardone proof stamp and the Black Powder only stamp on the right side of the barrel are identical. I have in addition to the DGG stamp under the barrel some numbers which don't correspond to any numbers in the serial number stamped on the frame. My cylinder has the same stampings for proof.

IMG_0431.JPG
IMG_0432.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG
IMG_0434.JPG

The frame has the proof stamp, the PN and the date code (XXX).

IMG_2678.JPG
IMG_2681.JPG
IMG_2681.JPG
IMG_2677.JPG

You probably have an older version of a Euroarms revolver that has had some defarbing.

I have a very similar Euroarms (the DGG is under the lever arm). The Gardone proof stamp and the Black Powder only stamp on the right side of the barrel are identical. I have in addition to the DGG stamp under the barrel some numbers which don't correspond to any numbers in the serial number stamped on the frame. My cylinder has the same stampings for proof.

View attachment 50721View attachment 50722View attachment 50723View attachment 50723
The frame has the proof stamp, the PN and the date code (XXX).

View attachment 50724View attachment 50725View attachment 50725View attachment 50726

You probably have an older version of a Euroarms revolver that has had some defarbing.
Thanks for the info, it looks the same for sure. I just took it out in the woods behind my house and fired off a cylinder. It shot really well and pretty accurate.

The problem is, when I went to load the balls in they pushed firmly in and seemed tight but didn't shave a ring of lead at all, and I used .457! I was a little concerned about a chain fire so I put grease over the chambers.

I have some Johnston and Dow conicals that are .460 that may work but I need to measure it and see what it would need. I will bring it next time I'm out at the club so you can look at it. Justin

Justin, I can't help with identification of your revolver, but there is actually a forum for Remington cap & ball enthusiasts. Check out www.1858remington.com

I'm not a member of that forum, but just found it by accident a while back. Might be worth a look, if you want to cast a wider net.

I will say you found a nice looking revolver. Enjoy it!

Notchy Bob

@Justin.44, take a look at your chamber mouth in your cylinder. My chamber mouths are rebated so a 0.454" ball doesn't shave off a ring of lead, but does seal the
chamber. You can sort of see the rebate in the picture. My revolver was made with the target sights and may have features not seen in standard revolvers.

IMG_0433.JPG

That does appear to be what the deal is with mine @Grenadier1758. Now I understand why when I rammed them down they felt real tight and snug. When I first got my Walker I tried .454 and they were a little undersized, it was obvious that they didn't fit right and that's not the case here. Thanks

Back