• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help identifying a revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don H

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a revolver that has no maker's name that I need to ID so I can order parts to repair it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Gun1.jpg
Gun1.jpgGun1.jpgGun2.jpgGun3.jpgGun4.jpg

Can you tell me which model?
It looks like a Colt 3rd Model Dragoon. If it is, it will weigh about 4 pounds, unloaded.

Although Armi San Marco has been out of business for years, many of the parts used in the 3rd Model Dragoons that are made by other companies will work in your gun although some of them might need some hand fitting.

If you need parts, your best bet would be to contact Dixie Gun Works at 1-800-238-6785. Tell them what you have and what you need. They have been importing cap & ball pistols for over 50 years and have a lot of parts that will work in your gun. More importantly, they also know what won't work in these old reproduction pistols.

If you take a look alongside the frame just ahead of the cutout you might see a little square stamp with letters or a Roman number in it - if you tell us what it is we can put a date to your revolver.

@Zonie - isn't it time we had a sticky of the Italian date codes? We get asked maybe once a week about it.

Please note that starting in 2020, the date codes were changed to reflect the year of manufacture, i.e. Arabic numeral 20 in the rectangle, and so on.

Italian Date Codes.jpg

Regards,

Jim

ASM is still making guns for other companies, they are high quality; and parts are available from Numrich Arms and VTI gunparts. I have a McCullough 44 built in 1974 and it is a pleasure to use.

ASM is still making guns for other companies, they are high quality; and parts are available from Numrich Arms and VTI gunparts. I have a McCullough 44 built in 1974 and it is a pleasure to use.

I don't know where your info comes from, but it is a well-known fact ASM went belly-up ~2002. VTI has very few ASM parts left in inventory.

I would like to see something substantive concerning your revelation.

Regards,

Jim

I agree with Mr sourdough. Here in UK we were unable to get any parts for any ASM firearm after sometime in late 2003, so I don't know where you'd get anything now. I can't even recall the name of the importer, but I recall that MY 3rd Model Dragoon came from Jim over at Coach Harness in Suffolk in the late 1980's, but after that things get hazy......

It has code BA which makes it made in 1991.

This was given to me with a broken hand, I'd like to fix it.
I'll try calling Dixie to see if they have parts. (Bought my first ML from them in '73, I was 16 years old and bought a CVA Kentucky kit. That rifle hangs over my fireplace today).

I went to the VTI site and they have a schematic for a 2nd Model Dragoon. Is there a difference between the 2nd and 3rd Model?

I don't know where your info comes from, but it is a well-known fact ASM went belly-up ~2002.

ASM was an Italian builder, The 1847 Walker was the first build. Imported by replica arms, several change in company names here on this side of the pond. The last I have heard is Cimarron. The tooling and patterns were absorbed by another manufacture in the Gardonne Valley. I am not sure as to say which.
Yes, the companies contracting around the world come and go, but the actual tooling and patterns are usually kept intact in the same building in the same zone and address, but with minor name changes and modifications to old worn patterns. It surprised me upon visiting the Gardonne valley the Spanish influence that was there at the time, but the valley is noted for weapons of all kinds including military grade.
I have used Pietta parts on San Marco's with little adjustment needed, the same goes for parts of Uberta on the old Armi San Paulo revolvers.

Last edited:
If you take a look alongside the frame just ahead of the cutout you might see a little square stamp with letters or a Roman number in it - if you tell us what it is we can put a date to your revolver.

@Zonie - isn't it time we had a sticky of the Italian date codes? We get asked maybe once a week about it.
It’s been a ‘sticky’ for over 10 years. Modern Replica Dating by Proof Marks

Difficult to see the forest because of the trees I guess.

So I wanted to follow up with the repair of my ASM 3rd Model Dragoon. Since their apparently are no parts available from ASM I ordered the Cylinder Stop and Trigger/Stop Spring from Dixie Gun Works. The Cylinder Stop needed to be filed to fit and the Stop side of the Spring needed to be bent to create more tension. After several attempts at filing, reassemble, try, disassembler I finally got the cylinder to lock up solid. I works like a champ now, can't wait to go shoot it!

This revolver was given to me broken and I put about $25 in to it so you can't beat the price.
Thanks to everyone who commented and provided information!

Back