• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help identifying a revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for the proper size round ball for ASM 3rd Model revolver. I measured the mouth of each chamber in the cylinder and got a consistent 0.449". I'm thinking I should use .454" ball. Is that correct?

Also what would be the recommended amount of BP for a light load?

My understanding is you want to shave a ring of lead off the ball when pressing it into the cylinder to ensure a good seal.

My ASM 3rd Model Dragoon worked very well with a .451" ball - the shaved-off ring was just right. Using a .454" ball would stress the loading lever way too much, IMO. I used 25gr of 3Fg for a light load - the thing is so heavy that the recoil is about the same as you get from firing up an electric toothbrush...

Back