• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help identifying 10 bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up this 10 bore at a local shop and was wondering if anybody might know anything about it. The only markings I could find were on the barrel and the hook breach and the fact that its an l&r lock. Also have an issue with the lock. When it is in half cock the top jaw on the cock touches the Frizzen and wont allow it to close all the way. Is thier a way to correct this?
20210125_232930.jpg
20210125_231033.jpg
20210125_230943.jpg
20210125_233112.jpg

Take a good look at the image it is quite obvious what is wrong but I am saying nought .
Feltwad

From the pics, it is not the top jaw of the cock but the edge of the flint that is holding the frizzen open. As Lawrence said, flipping the flint should allow the frizzen to close all the way.

The picture may be deceiving, but it looks to me like the flint needs to be turned over and pushed back against the screw. Just my 10 cents.

First make some adjustments with the flint. Turn the flint to the bevel up position. Put a match stick under the back edge of the flint to lower the front edge of the flint. Make the cut out in the flint leather so the leather clears the jaw screw and the flint can be moved back.

Picked up this 10 bore at a local shop and was wondering if anybody might know anything about it. The only markings I could find were on the barrel and the hook breach and the fact that its an l&r lock. Also have an issue with the lock. When it is in half cock the top jaw on the cock touches the Frizzen and wont allow it to close all the way. Is thier a way to correct this?View attachment 60419View attachment 60420View attachment 60421View attachment 60422
As everyone is focused on the flint placement I'll address the maker question as best I can. I don't recognize anything to specify any well known manufacturer but that doesn't mean it wasn't made by one of the long gone Italian or US reproduction manufacturers. My guess is that it's a "kit" build or (more likely) a parts build. I don't recognize the markings, hopefully someone else will come by who does.

From the pics, it is not the top jaw of the cock but the edge of the flint that is holding the frizzen open. As Lawrence said, flipping the flint should allow the frizzen to close all the way.
I flipped the flint and it gives me clearance but it was only striking the bottom third of the Frizzen and not opening it all the time. Switched to larger flint and corrected the problem but looks funny how it sits. This look right? Yes the flint is against the screw
20210126_112154.jpg

You know, after seeing that new closeup pic, I think Brit may be right. There should be more room between the top jaw and the frizzen face in half cock, no matter the position of the flint (bevel up or down).

Last edited:
Has the flint leather been cut away to allow the flint to be mounted further back?

Latest posts

Back