• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help identify these MZ makers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisonhawk

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and thought some of you out there might be able to identify three old percussion muzzleloaders that are in my family. One is an old double barrelled shotgun with the name Williams. It is from S. Indiana. Another has the name J. Thomas and is a .45 fullstock cap and ball rifle. It also is from S. Indiana. The third is a backlock style .45 cap and ball and has a capital H with an arrow through it. It is from around the Vincennes, IN area. I will send photos if you need them to help ID. Much appreciate your help...Morrisonhawk :bow:

Yeah, photos will be necessary for anyone to tell you anything about them. Several good photos of each one will help. :photoSmile:

Most deffinitely post pictures of these rifles please. As a resident of Indiana, I would love to see some old examples of these rifles.

Trench, there is a picture of a rifle make by Thomas Underwood of Layfayette Indiana inside the cover of Firearms in American History, Volume 3 By Charles Winthrop Sawyer you can see at google books. This is out of print so the whole book is there. The rifle was made sometime in the timeframe from 1800 to 1840. I looked only briefly for more info on the gunmaker. Also you may want to look in the publications (II) at Papa's site AOLRC. Peter Reinhard's Ohio underhammer target rifle won matches in Fort Wayne and was seen in other Indiana towns. I hope this is not considered unsolicited research.

Latest posts

Back