HELP IDENTIFY REMINGTON

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

T-Jordan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Can anyone ID this pistol? It came in a lot with a conversion, only described as "Remington Style."
.36 cal.
The rammer is interesting as it's been turned down (see pic).
Serial 853 on guard and grip frame, but 953 on bottom of barrel (obscured in photo bc rammer is not removable w/o removing the screw).
No other markings at all.
Screws do not interchange with an original beals navy I have.
6.5" barrel.
It is certainly very old, but I dont think it's an original, that's my gut anyway. My guess is like... an antique replica of some kind?
Any thoughts are appreciated. I'll post more pics in the comments.
Even if it IS a replica, id love to know who may have made it.
Thanks-

Attachments

T-Jordan

32 Cal
Reaction score
The original remington's had serial numbers as well.... however I do think you might be right that its a defarbed replica.
Id just like to know so I can decide if its a shooter or a museum piece.

Justin.44

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Looks like my Euroarms. I have numbers in the same locations you do. I'll post some pics and share a link to a thread I started when I bought mine, should give you some info. Justin

20210302_171731.jpg
20210302_172008.jpg
20210302_172056.jpg
20210302_172346.jpg

T-Jordan

32 Cal
Reaction score
This might be a winner! Numbering locations are similar, build looks similar... Thanks!
Is yours a .36?? If so, is the rammer turned down to fit the cylinder like on this one?

Justin.44

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Mine is a .44. Not sure what you mean about the rammer but if you explain I can check when I get home later.

Also, I know one of our members, @Grenadier1758 has another example of a Euroarms Remington and may be able to give you some more information.

Zonie

Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The original Remington-Beal's and Remington New Model pistols did not have a serial number marked on the bottom of the grip frame.
That tells me you don't have an original pistol there.

It apparently was defarbed nicely though so I'm moving this thread to the handgun section of the forum.

deermanct

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a very similar pistol. Same numbers on mine. The one I have says made in Italy on the barrel but no other markings. Mine is a 44.

hawkeye2

58 Cal.
Reaction score
It is not a Euroarms/ASP, if it were there would be no exposed threads at the back of the barrel (see Justin.44's photos). The mod to the rammer was done by a past owner, not factory.

T-Jordan

32 Cal
Reaction score
Mine is a .44. Not sure what you mean about the rammer but if you explain I can check when I get home later.

Also, I know one of our members, @Grenadier1758 has another example of a Euroarms Remington and may be able to give you some more information.
I think the proper term is a "plunger."
On this one, it looks like a 44 size plunger was turned down on a lathe to fit a 36 cylinder. If yours is a 44, the point is moot.
Its definitely a feature I've never seen before.

Boatncamp

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Look on the underside of the barrel underneath the loading lever arm. You will have to look very closely as the mark may at first look like some scratches. It could say FAP. It looks very much like my 1858 Remington which is in .44. I never knew the manufacturer until just recently when I did a very close inspection and found the FAP. They are in a kind of script in capital letters. Stands for Pietta. Mine has the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame and also has a Italian Proof marks on the barrel and side of the frame along with a date code.
Mine was made in 1974.

Woody

Grenadier1758

Cannon
Reaction score
My Euroarms 44 has the DGG stamp under the loading lever. It is very faint and decidedly hard to read.

As stated earlier, measure the threads. The nipples would likely be the easiest. I would expect them to be 6-0.75mm. That is very close to 1/4-28 but a hair smaller in diameter. A full service hardware store will have the thread gauges to verify the threads. Obviously a metric thread would identify the pistol as a replica.

flintlock75

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This could be a copy of the Remington made by Manhattan Firearms company. One I looked at was also .36 cal. Just slightly smaller than the full size REM 1858 .44cal. They are from the same time period.

sourdough

40 Cal
Reaction score
I just won at auction a Remington Beals .44 made by Armi San Paolo (DGG on the underside of the barrel), probably in the 70's (I don't know the date code yet as I have not received it).

It was imported by DGW and is marked .44 CAL NEW MODEL ARMY, which it not.
Rem Beals DGG ASP 001.jpg

Rem Beals DGG ASP 012.jpg
Rem Beals DGG ASP 013.jpg

Regards,

Jim

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have one that look's a lot like it & mine is an ASM.

Latest posts