• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help identify borescope discoveries please?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an Winchester, model 54 30-06 rifle that was my Uncles. It is 100 years old more or less. It has that "alligator" checking in the bore. I was told by a gunsmith that the gun is safe to shoot, but the checking does contriibute to degraded accuracy. It never was meant to be a target rifle, but it should last for another 100 years if used as a hunting rifle. 😎
one of the finest "unmentionables" ever produced.

My Teslong will definitely let you know if you have rust, crud, carbon buildup or whatever. Photographs of the same spot in a bore, before and after a cleanup. Using one of their WiFi models with photographs saved on my phone.
View attachment 145494View attachment 145495
I too have a Teslong but mine is the model with the attached camera device. What model do you have? It seems much clearer at side photos than mine. Mine has issues with clear images that are too close to focus.

Thank you for your help. My bore camera is not capable of side views but I certainly see how useful it is.
I may have to order that Big 45 stuff from overseas, I’ve never seen it in Australia.
Not trying to be harsh but, you need a better borescope. I do not think it's as bad as those pictures make it appear.
The Teslongs are really pretty inexpensive

You have to screw the angle mirror in or out on the screw threads to get it to focus for a side view on different sized barrels, My Teslong won't get a good focus on a side view of a 22 cal barrel but will on anything bigger.

A borescope is a great tool to have. If you buy a new barrel and the interior is roughly finished or defective you will probably never be happy with it. It will load hard, have poor accuracy and foul quickly. Without being able to examine the bore you could waste lots of powder and lead trying to make a silk purse out of a hogs ear. On the other hand if you document a problem right away you can ask for a replacement.

I have saved myself a bunch of grief this way. I have received several defective barrels over the years. I sent photos to the vendors. The speculation stops and a new barrel is on the way. They have no idea who you are or your level of skill or experience. I would bet that many barrel makers get calls all the time claiming a barrel is junk. A picture is worth a thousand words and makes the process fact based.

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F

When you think you have a really clean bore but look at it with a bore scope it gets scary.

When you think you have really clean ears but look at them with a bore scope you will think you have a rare disease and could loose your hearing or die any minute.

Now that I've said this, some of you will be looking in your ears with your bore scope. Do not lie to me. You know who you are.

Looking at anything requires you to know a bit about the subject. Show me the insides of a computer and you’ll see the look of a monkey looking at a math problem. I could learn about them if nessasary but I’ll stick to mechanical things. 😬

I bought a Hawkeye bore scope a few years back before the Teslongs were available and it is really super clear, a fine piece of equipment for examining your bore in fine detail but it did not have the ability to take pictures.

I bought a cheap $50.00 Teslong to take pictures and figured it would be pretty crappy but was surprised at how good it works, maybe a little fidgeting to get things adjusted but for $50.00 it is money well spent.

I tend to side with forum members who state,, "it's not how the bore looks, it's how well it shoots".
One of my most accurate percussion target rifles was an original English built half-stock rifle built by Stodenmire. It's .58 cal. deeply rifled bore was uniformly pitted from breech to muzzle but after lapping it would shoot very tight groups & loaded easy with lubed patches.
I sold this rifle to a gentleman at a Kalifornia gun show about 35 years ago. Would be great to hear if this rifle is still in service by a forum member, it's exceptionally large flat-faced trigger guard made it stand out.

I too have a Teslong but mine is the model with the attached camera device. What model do you have? It seems much clearer at side photos than mine. Mine has issues with clear images that are too close to focus.
Technology is getting better every day. My Teslong is a couple years old, imagine the latest versions have improved both in technology and cost. The one I have has a 36” long flexible fiber optic cable between the ‘camera’ or lens and the controller that communicates with my phone or PC through WiFi. I would suggest a longer cable if if have longer rifle barrels. I ‘won’ this one as part of a non-muzzleloader shoot, so no complaints. Below are photographs of the info on the actual box and a shot of what’s inside the box. Yep, like most other things, made in China. Hope this helps.
1658978585812.jpeg
1658978668167.jpeg

FFFF or FFF steel wool is ideal as a bore polisher ,Wrap it around an under size brass brush ,lube it , I use Kroil, or for rough bores JB Paste . Big 45 looks just like pot scrubbers sold in the supermarket . Bronze wool is also a useful cleaner and is less abrasive than steel wool .

I've heard it said that "bore scopes sell barrels". I've got one of the cheap-o ones and it is astonishing what some of the barrels look like, but the gun shoots fine.

I'm amazed at the "chatter" marks that seem to be on some of the pictures in this thread. Since the cutter is pulled along the axis of the barrel, I would not expect to see any lines perpendicular to the axis of the barrel in the rifling grooves. What are those?

It would be interesting to see a borescope picture of the inside of a barrel made the "old way" with the "long bit" where they carefully reamed out the bore and then cut each groove in turn.

Back